leethal Adventure Knit-a-long 2014
Second annual leethal Adventure KAL - pre-order now, start knitting in mid-August. Like a mystery knit-a-long, but with more adventure!
You’ll make choices throughout your project to end up with a totally one-of-a-kind finished piece. You’ll choose from 6 different shapes; some shapes can be made as different items (there are 10+ item possibilities). There will be a total of 24 different stitch patterns (all both written and charted).
All shapes/patterns can be made in any weight yarn, any size, although some item types will be better suited for lighter weights or heavier weights. You can use one solid color throughout, with optional contrasting colors; or change colors in wide stripes or blocks.
You’ll get additional surprise things (as extra pdfs) to go with the KAL, between pattern section releases. The pattern collection will be given as a printable folding booklet as well as normal pdf format. (See the first Adventure Knitting’s page for details about the folding book format, with a link to a video showing/talking more about Adventure Knitting, much of which will apply to this year’s as well.)
- Available for pre-order beginning July 1st ($8 pre-order price)
- Thursday, August 14th: Setup section is released (price raises to $10)
- Thursday, August 21st: Section 1 is released (price raises to $11)
- Thursday, August 28th: Section 2 is released (price raises to $12)
- Thursday, September 4th: Section 3 is released (price raises to $14)
- Complete ebook will be released shortly after the KAL ends.
- KAL-ers will receive extra pdfs in between the pattern section releases.
Once you join the KAL at any point, you’ll automatically receive emails (and ravelry messages) with download links to every new pdf that’s released, including the complete ebook at the end.
For now, if you want to, you can add your mystery adventure project to your ravelry page, using a photo of the yarn you plan to use, or any of the mystery adventure pictures given on the leethalknits.com adventure knit-a-long page.
Head to the leethal knitters! ravelry group to talk about knitting adventures, ask questions, and chat with fellow adventurers!
Notes about materials and skills
- all items/shapes can be made in any weight yarn
- yardage needed will depend on your yarn weight, item choice, and desired size - because of all these factors, there will not be precise yardage estimates given, but the patterns will be written in a way to help you use up all your yardage and not run out
- needle size recommended depends on your desired drape - for most items, your yarn’s recommended needle size (on the ball band) should be good, but if you’re making an item that you want to be extra loose/drapey, use a needle a couple sizes larger than the recommended size
- all shapes/items are knit flat, using increases/decreases for shaping
- some items/shapes are more complex than others, and same with the stitch patterns, so difficulty ranges adventurous beginner to experienced intermediate
- in order to fully take part in all elements of the knit-a-long you’ll need to print out some pages, but you can do all the knitting without printing anything
Additional notes about the items/yarn:
Items will include many different types of neck accessories - pretty much any kind of neck accessory you like, you’ll be able to make it (some form of it) as part of this KAL. There will also be some small items, simple things if you don’t want to commit to much before knowing what it’ll look like, and some simple but large items.
Most items will need 2-3 skeins of yarn (except those smaller items, which take less than 1 skein). All items can be made in one solid color only, or can use optional contrasting color(s). All yarns should be solids or semi-solids, or self-striping with really long color sections should work - not busy variegated colorways. Try to use yarn that will block well (like wool; though there is one item that’s meant for cotton) - blocking will be somewhat important to smooth everything out. Yarn with good stitch definition is recommended.