Slipster Slackscarf & Headband
It’s a fabric of 100% slip stitches -- an elementary (and often underestimated) crochet stitch. This antique form of crochet is often called “Bosnian Crochet” although this scarf is not crocheted in the round.
Skill Level: This quick one-skein pattern is a great introduction to Slip Stitch Crochet. It’s rated Easy because of the stitch and simple design. (It’s mindless enough that I can make it while talking on the phone.) It may be Easy-Intermediate for some because the looser gauge and larger-than-normal hook size might be a new experience.
Even the simplest pattern and stitch like this one results in a fabric with fascinating qualities. I love what this scarf feels like: drapey, stretchy, and flat--not the crochet some people expect, and not stiff like traditional Slip Stitch/Bosnian Crochet either! My favorite way to wear it is wrapped 2 or 3 times as a headband. It looks casually chic.
Choosing the Yarn:
The best yarn would be a fingering/sock weight with some drape, such as some bamboo, milk, soy, rayon, or even enough silk or alpaca content.
For a simple stitch like this, a yarn with some color or surface texture variation is ideal. I’m having trouble capturing it in photos, but in person, the pictured scarf looks sueded with shades of mossy green and khaki. These qualities add to its funky casual look.
Pattern is written with:
- No abbreviations
- Metric as well as Imperial measurements
- Instructions for customizing dimensions, and optional stitch refinement tips for the more experienced crocheter
- Clickable hyperlinks that take you to helpful articles, and to an exclusive set of images for this design
After using this pattern you will know (if you didn’t already):
* How to make a simple fabric-quality slip stitch
* The importance of a hook-led stitch gauge (leads to intermediate-level skill)
* How to begin with a locking vs. adjustable slip knot
* A fun, quick way to use single skeins of silky sock yarns
* How to work into the foundation chain so that both long edges of the scarf look identical.