Frosted Rose Cardigan
October 8, 2014
November 24, 2014

Frosted Rose Cardigan

Project info
Tau by Melanie Berg
M with smaller gauge (6.5 sts per inch)
Needles & yarn
US 0 - 2.0 mm
US 2½ - 3.0 mm
US 1½ - 2.5 mm
Chroma Fiber ChariZma Silk
144 yards in stash
2.61 skeins = 965.7 yards (883.0 meters), 261 grams
May 24, 2014

For next time :

  • Add 10 sts to cast on for wider sleeves (5 additional sts on each sleeve).
  • Remove one of the button bands and work in the round instead, keeping a fake button band on the front to add decorative buttons at the end.
  • Start the waist shaping at least 3 or 4 inches below the armpits. Divide the number of back stitches in 4, then isolate 1 stitch with markers on the first and third quarters of the back. To decrease, SSK before and K2tog after the isolated stitch, every 4 rows. To increase, M1 before and after the isolated stitch, every 6 rows.

Just started this project, I fell in love with the pattern at first sight and just happened to have the perfect yarn just laying around, in a good weight and good yardage.

I like cardigans and sweaters to be a little snug so I was going to knit size small to counterbalance the 4” positive ease provided in the pattern, but it turns out I didn’t have to do that. While knitting my gauge, I realized I was at 6.5 sts per inch instead of the required 6 sts per inch, so knitting it in size medium would be just perfect for the size I wanted to get (finished measurement 36” bust).

The pattern so far is very easy to understand, stitches and construction are fairly simple. I wasn’t a fan of the 3-row-buttonhole, so I decided to replace it by a simple eyelet (YO, K2tog) and will match buttons accordingly. I also plan on adding some waist shaping, not sure yet though how many stitches.

The yarn is simply amazing… It’s a 100% silk, light fingering, 2 ply hand painted yarn in the colorway “frosted rose”. It’s unbelievably soft, has nice stitch definition and the color variations are great - light pink, warm purple, a hint of gray and a few bright pink freckles. I just cannot wait to see how it’ll turn out once finished!!

October 13th, 2014
Sleeves have been separated, and I am about halway through the waist decreases. I’m decreasing 4 stitches every 4 rows, 10 times using 2 “sl2tog, k1, PSSO” decreases evenly spaced on the back. I just tried it on for the first time, the width is perfect, but I’m a little concerned about the length… Somehow, the armholes are right where they should be, but the sweater barely reaches the bust… Maybe I started the waist decreases too early, I don’t know. Or maybe it’s just not falling right because I haven’t reached the full length yet. Anyways, I’ll just keep going, add a few rows once I reach the waistline, and if anything goes wrong, I’ll just stretch it lengthwise when I block it.

October 22nd, 2014
I finished the waist decreases, and started the hip increases. I’m increasing 4 sts every 6 rows, adding 1 st on either side of both back decreases. It’s going pretty smoothly, I should have the body done by next week.

November 2nd, 2014
I finally finished the body, it’s an amazing fit!! Oh, the drape of pure silk. Bliss! Let’s move onto the button hunt to dress up this little baby!

November 5th, 2014
Buttons are on!

November 12th, 2014
First sleeve is done, opted for 3/4 sleeves, but had a little trouble bit of working the cuff. Note to self : if I re-knit this sweater, use DPN instead of magic loop for the cuffs.

November 24th, 2014
Second sleeve done, just have to weave in the ends and wash/block it. So excited! I tried again working the cuff with the magic loop, and it seems to have worked better this time. I think I was just not paying attention enough the first time.

viewed 413 times | helped 10 people
October 8, 2014
November 24, 2014
About this pattern
185 projects, in 929 queues
Crafty-Effie's overall rating
Crafty-Effie's clarity rating
Crafty-Effie's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Chroma Fiber
100% Silk
370 yards / 100 grams

7 projects

stashed 14 times

Crafty-Effie's star rating
  • Originally queued: October 7, 2014
  • Project created: October 9, 2014
  • Finished: November 25, 2014
  • Updated: May 4, 2015
  • Progress updates: 10 updates