I named this project ” Cullimore” as I bought the yarn and pattern from money which was originally set aside to fix our water softener (culligan). I also like the meaning of cullimore: “Cullimore Name Meaning. You are cheerful and friendly, but are apt to have an emotional life. You like to have several lines of effort going at once.” That sounds pretty much like me ;)
It was hard to decide on the size, but I decided on 37 with less waist shaping. In the end I knitted one size bigger for the sleeves and front.
It has been a while that I knitted a sweater in pieces, but it is indeed easier to take along as each piece is easily stuffed into a bag.
Oct. 28: the back piece is done in just two weeks!
November 5: Put into hibernation to work on some gifts for the holidays.
February 29, 2016: Brought back out of hibernation; yeah!
The sleeves were finished in no time flat, then I started on the left and right fronts (knitting both at the same time).
I was stuck for a week or so, because the math did not work on the arm and neck decreases for the fronts. The designer double-checked for me and uploaded a new version of the pattern (hurray!). See also my Easter blog entry (from March 25, 2016). I skipped blocking before seaming and will do a light blocking in the end; too much in a hurry to get this done.
Button bands I noticed that picking up 2 sts for every 3 rows is not quite to gauge, but looks fine. Since I made the cardigan a tad longer I had a total of 100 sts along the fronts. I like to double my button bands and ribbed 9 rows, purled 1 row (on the RS; the turning row), then purled 1 row, knit 1 row tbl for 9 rows; bind off on the 20th row using the sewn bind off while at the same time seaming. I used this method in a previous project and made a video: Easy sewn bind-off and seaming (Yes, that’s me in the video :) I love it when I can figure out shortcuts.
I am also planning on 8 instead of 7 buttons because of the added length.