Christmas gift. Improvised based on other mitts I’ve knit recently and lots of trying on :)
The recipe is roughly as follows:
- 36st cable cast on in lighter colour.
- 6 rows *k2, p2* ribbing.
- 4 row stripes of alternating colours in 2x2 garter rib i.e. one row knit, one row *k2, p2* - twice per colour.
- Thumb gusset made with kfb increases as below.
- One more dark stripe on thumb, two more dark stripes on hand.
- Hand and thumb both end with 4 rows *k2, p2* ribbing in lighter colour and a sewn bind-off.
The thumb gusset is created from a knit column. The increase rows are:
1) kfb, k = 3 stitches
2) kfb, kfb, k = 5 stitches
5) kfb, k2, kfb, k = 7 stitches
8) kfb, k4, kfb, k = 9 stitches
11) kfb, k6, kfb, k = 11 stitches
14) kfb, k8, kfb, k = 13 stitches
17) kfb, k10, kfb, k = 15 stitches
20) kfb, k12, kfb, k = 17 stitches
Other rounds (3, 4, 6, 7, etc) are just knit. After the last increases knit two more rounds (21 and 22), then on the next round (23) knit the first stitch of the gusset, put 15 stitches on waste yarn, and knit the last stitch.