carolyni > notebook > projects > Hungry Hailey Caterpillar

Project info
Hungry Hailey Caterpillar
hat medium / body 0-6 mos.
Needles & yarn
US 10½ - 6.5 mm
US 6 - 4.0 mm
US 5 - 3.75 mm
Baby Bee Hushabye Solid
624 yards in stash
Lion Brand Cotton-Ease
828 yards in stash
Lion Brand Cotton-Ease
414 yards in stash
Lion Brand Cotton-Ease
735 yards in stash
Lion Brand Cotton-Ease
807 yards in stash
0.25 skeins = 51.8 yards (47.3 meters), 25 grams

4/22/17 I have recently found out that the picture from my project here is being used to link to the Etsy sales page for the cocoon pattern that I used as a general guideline to make this project. I have used perhaps 5% of the cocoon pattern to make what I have here - some came from the tunic pattern (linked above) and the rest from my head. I did not take good notes when I made this as I never expected to make it again or to have anyone else ask me how I made it. Please do not spend $4 on the pattern thinking it will give you the instructions to make what I have made because it won’t. I have requested that my picture be removed from those websites as it is being used to falsely promote the pattern.

10/20 Finished :) Eye ‘cords’ made on US size 5 needle by casting on 26 green, 26 yellow and binding off 29 yellow, 23 green - then coiling and sewing together with yarn ends at the back. Eyes stitched onto the hat with red yarn instead of gluing. Green centers on eyes are darker and more vibrant than they appear in the photo. Don’t ask why it is that I didn’t put all the buttons on the same side…I really have no idea, though that might have been a good idea…
10/19 body knitting complete - just need to get and sew on buttons. I’m thinking now that I wish I had made the stripes wider, but there is no way to be starting over at this point, way too much time investment for this particular project.
10/15 Basic hat and antennae completed, still have to make some eyes and put it all together. I will be heavily modifying the cocoon into an outfit that will not slip down as this will be a costume rather than a photo prop (design elements borrowed from this pattern) and am knitting it single stranded on size US 6 needles. I’m also trying to stick a little closer to the actual colors in the original pictures from the book (purple antennae and only one blue-green color) and to the little rattle I found to go with it all - my middle green is not quite bright enough though. Hope to finish by the end of the week.

Baby is 2.5 months old at wearing. Body knit to approx. 20.5 inches - baby is approx. 18 inches from shoulder to toes. Circumference of caterpillar body was about 18-19 inches. :)

10/31 Action shots!

viewed 4513 times | helped 17 people
October 10 2013
October 20 2013
About this pattern
Personal pattern (not in Ravelry)
About this yarn
by Lion Brand
50% Cotton, 50% Acrylic
207 yards / 100 grams
carolyni's star rating

40848 projects

stashed 18602 times

About this yarn
by Baby Bee
50% Cotton, 50% Acrylic
208 yards / 100 grams
carolyni's star rating

1949 projects

stashed 770 times

  • Originally queued: July 11, 2013
  • Project created: October 11, 2013
  • Finished: October 20, 2013
  • Updated: April 22, 2017
  • Progress updates: 7 updates