The pattern calls for a very stretchy cast-on. I used the long-tail cast-on, holding two needles as one to make sure I made the stitches loose enough. It seems to be stretchy enough.
I also did not like having to do so many ‘ktbl’, so I looked at the pattern and really could not determine why they were ‘ktbl’ instead of regular ‘k’, so I just began knitting all the ktbl normally. This may become an issue, but after two repeats of the first chart, it doesn’t seem to be. Just read the other project pages for this pattern, and many projects omitted the twisted stitches, so I guess I am ok.
1/21/2012 - started second sock. First has been finished for a week or more.
Got second sock ready to graft toe and realized it was 1/2 inch wider than other sock. Ripped back to the decreases and added in several more decreases. Fixed width and pooling that was on second sock. Ended up 60 sts around foot, but fits great! Now that I have put them on I don’t want to take them off!!!!