This pattern was a good choice to showcase the beautiful handspun that I received from Shannon, however I like this pattern much more with the mods I made to the increase rows in the yoke, plus my other mods.
- spaced increases evenly across yoke (pattern has them more frequently done at the beginning of the row than the last half, for no apparent reason.
- fewer increases on increase row 3 - see detailed notes below.
- went up a needle size to 4.5 mm for daisy stitch pattern only. 4.0 mm for garter rows and stockinette.
- long sleeves with CC at cuff.
- no body stripes.
- MC for buttonband. Smaller needles (3.5 mm), plus smaller buttonband (9 rows instead of 11).
- moved waist decreases to mid-fronts and backs, a la Amy Herzog Fit to Flatter. Started at 3.5 inches from underarm and did 4 decreases, every 6th row.
- more hip increases, as there are 4 waist decreases and only 2 hip increases in the pattern. Did 5.
- decreased 12 stitches when starting the garter row in CC at the hem, as I was afraid it would be rippled. An alternative would have been to go down a needle size, as I did for the buttonband, and then go back up for the daisy stitch.
- did 9 buttonholes instead of the icord loops.
I changed the last increase row, after looking at my own work and many of the other projects, as there were too many stitches and it rippled. I ripped back several inches after researching yoke increase ratios (EZ, Ysolda Teague) and realized that a 60% increase was too much.
- I increased 63 stitches to end at 256 stitches instead of 304 during the 3rd increase row.
- after the end of the garter rows, I increased another 25 stitches to make my final yoke count 281. This way I avoided the garter ripple. I should have knit a row or 2 in stockinette in the MC then increased, instead of increasing into the last CC row.
- 18 rows, then split for sleeves: 42 fronts, 58 sleeves, 81 back
- cast on 10 at underarms
- total body stitches 185
- 58 on waste yarn. Picked up 8 plus 2 gap stitches, which I decreased on round 1 after the pick-up round. Decreased every 10th row until 50 stitches remain, then started cuff as per hem, decreasing down to 45 on the first row of cuff in CC.
From the official Disney site:
Princess Eilonwy of Llyr (pronounced eye-LAHN-wee of Leer) is the deuteragonist in Disney’s 1985 feature film The Black Cauldron. Although she is, in fact, a princess by birth, she is not considered an official Disney Princess due to the film’s lack of success and popularity at the box office.
I love it - you only get to be a Princess if you are both: 1) a princess; and 2) a box office hit.
Pattern Gauge: 20 sts/32 rows = 4”/10cm in stockinette stitch on US 7/4.5mm needles.
- will use 4.0 mm needles for the MC and 4.5 mm for the daisy stitch pattern.
1/4 (35 grams) of CC used for yoke. 56 grams left of CC - guessing at 215 yards used.
78 grams of Miss Babs left - approx. 190 yards.