Swatched using an 8 mm needle and Wise Hilda’s tension swatch instructions. Before laundering the swatch (machine wash, mesh bag, gentle cycle, cold water, lay flat to dry), 11.75 sts and 19.5 rows per 4” (stockinette). (Pattern wants 12 sts/16 rows.) After laundering: 11 sts and 19 rows per 4”. So it seems this yarn stretches.
With 7 mm needle: Before laundering, 12.7 sts and 17 rows per 4”. After laundering, 11.9 sts and 18 rows.
Google and some knitting forums lead me to believe row gauge isn’t critical, especially if the project will be knitted to a desired length, as this will be. BUT this sweater does have raglan sleeves, for which row gauge can be critical. After watching this Very Pink video about raglan increases and the construction of raglan sweaters, I think I understand where I might have to increase more. Time to move this project forward!
May 17, 2011: At the end of the first ball (with not quite enough yarn left for another row), I had 134 sts, which (I think, if my knitting math makes any sense) puts me at the end of my 12th raglan increase.
134 – 38 (# sts after set-up row) = 96
96 ÷ 8 (# sts inc’d for each raglan inc) = 12
After the raglan increases that the pattern called for, it still didn’t quite fit around my arms because my row gauge was off (I suspected that would happen). So, I worked two more raglan “increases” but did a k2tog 4 sts before each marker and an ssk 3 sts after each (which was really 4 sts after because of the kfb in the raglan increase, so the decrease was symmetrically placed after the marker). This way, the increases didn’t end up increasing (because my stitch gauge was right on, so I didn’t want to make it too loose around), but working those extra rows gave me more length (which was lacking because of the row gauge).
To add a little more length, I worked 7 stockinette rows (instead of 5) before the first waist increase.
To make the BO loose enough, I had to BO using a 10 mm needle.
September 2011: Autumn is here, so I pulled this out of hiding. It really isn’t comfortable to wear; it keeps falling off my shoulders, requiring much fidgeting and fussing. I might frog this, my first sweater, and repurpose the yarn for a sweater that I enjoy wearing. The search for the right pattern is on!
March 27, 2012: I frogged 5 garter ridges (32 g) off the collar because the button band was just too wide, possibly making me look wider than necessary. Let’s see if I wear the sweater now.
May 24, 2012: Frogged. It’s just too big and doesn’t fit well. Time to repurpose this lovely yarn!