revknits' projects
Guy Sweater

revknits > notebook > projects > Guy Sweater

Finished
July 12 2012
December 3 2012
Project info
Guy Sweater
Sweater 101 - template
Knitting
Dennis
44 in chest
Needles & yarn
US 4 - 3.5 mm
US 2 - 2.75 mm
Knit Picks CotLin
22 skeins = 2706.0 yards (2474.4 meters), 1100 grams
3694
Notes

This sweater is for my cousin Dennis, and I promised it last Christmas, and am shooting to complete it by his birthday in late November.

I’m using the template for a back pullover with set-in sleeves from Sweater 101 by Cheryl Brunette.

So far, I’ve swatches in a coulple of stitch patterns and gotten input from Dennis on style, fit (I measured some of his sweaters), color and texture.

9/6/02012 - Finished the back of the sweater and washed and dryed it (the way it will be cared for). Measurements are coming out just right - thank goodness I made a swatch, measured it, and washed and measured it to account for shrinkage.

9/29/2012 - front is knitted up to necklines opening now I have to do some math.
I’m loving the fabric that this yarn makes - may make another sweater in this!

9/30/2012 - the front is done. I had to rip out a few rows when I got the final stitch count wrong at the shoulders, but it was a fast reknit. Now I’m onto the sleeves -- I’m doing them 2-at-a-time flat (this is cotton-linen that I’m dealing with - seams count) and I hope that they’ll go quickly. I think the bottom part of the sleeves will be stockinette, then I’ll switch to the ribbing pattern from the armhole up.

10/19/2012 finished the sleeves up to the armholes early in the month. Now I need to do some math for the sleeve caps!

11/09/2012 - oops. I checked the sweater today - I only finished the sleeves 1/2 way to the sleeve cap, and there’s about 12 days to Thanksgiving, when I’d like to have this ready for the recipient. On the positive side, I’ve done the math for the sleeve caps, made a decision on the stitch pattern I’ll use, and pondering a good choice for the neckline finishing. Onward~

11/10/2012 - argh. I should have calculated how many increases to do on the sleeves. Anyway, I had to rip out 7 inches on each of the sleeves because they got too wide too fast. Hopefully we’re on track, and I do have the math calc’s for the sleeve caps. Now it may be a slog, but I can do it!

11/25/2012 - had another bad moment, but I was trying to knit the sleeve caps in the ER with my Mom, so I guess it’s a bit understandable.

Have now finished the sleeves, sewn the sweater together. All that remains is the neckline,weaving in ends, and a final blocking!

11/27/2012 - Decided to do a 1x1 twisting ribbing for the neckline on Size 2 needles, along with a bit of short rows to have the back neck a bit higher. I did a tubular bind-off to make it lovely. I’m liking it, now’s the time for blocking to see how the whole sweater turns out! At last, at last!

12/3/2012 - Finally and completely done. Will have to wait a bit to see if the fit is on - praying hard for that to be true!

viewed 37 times
Finished
July 12 2012
December 3 2012
About this pattern
Personal pattern (not in Ravelry)
About this yarn
by Knit Picks
DK
70% Cotton, 30% Linen / Flax
123 yards / 50 grams
revknits' star rating

16345 projects

stashed 15669 times

  • Project created: August 17, 2012
  • Finished: December 3, 2012
  • Updated: December 4, 2012
  • Progress updates: 14 updates