chanvictoria's projects
Little Harriet's Jumpsuit
Finished
October 21 2017
December 13 2017
Project info
Little Harriet's Jumpsuit
Little Mary's Jumpsuit by Little Edith's Knit
Knitting
Baby Harriet
6-9 months
Needles & yarn
US 4 - 3.5 mm
US 2½ - 3.0 mm
25 stitches
Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino
4.1 skeins = 560.5 yards (512.5 meters), 205 grams
Pink
Notes

Embarking on this project using Danish pattern (with no prior knowledge of the language!) Thanks to translation help from @AkkanandEllie

Gauge 25 stitches & 35 rows per 10cm² in stockinette stitch using larger needles (I used 3.5mm). Overall length from neckline to crotch is 42.5cm.

The baby in the photo is 9 months old and weighs 8.5kg.

I used a slightly bigger gauge than specified in pattern (pattern is 26 st, mine is 25 st). Also I knitted the torso longer than specified (42.5cm instead of 35cm).

October 24, 2017

Still there, about row 15 now. Progress is slow due to not having enough time (2 children and half term). Annoyingly I have done the first few rows too loosely. Hope that won’t affect the final aesthetics too much.

There is a mistake in the cable chart for 6-9months. A left cable is missing in the middle of the front chart on row 13. I didn’t spot it until 2 rows later. So had to retroactively add the cables by dropping the two stitches and picking them back up.

November 1, 2017

Just started the second ball of yarn after separating out the sleeves stitches. This is such a cute project even if the pattern could be confusing at times. I love the way the skirt gathers on the purl rows waistband.

December 13, 2017

Finally finished! Used up all 4 balls of DK yarn and knitted the sleeves both at the same time just in case I ran out of yarn. Indeed I was just a little short and remedied by using a different color for cuffs ribbing.

I also made the piece a bit longer than specified in pattern as I was afraid it wouldn’t fit my (rapidly growing) 9 month old baby. Luckily it still fits when I completed the project!

Don’t really like the neckline. Found it too high also the seed stitch ribbing is loose and flares out. Will try different ribbing if I’m to make it again.

Also don’t like the sleeves. They are too big / wide. Perhaps because my gauge is bigger. They’re also too short as I ran out of that pink yarn.

Another ‘mistake’ I made was that I did too many rows of ribbing at the bottom. I decided to do tubular bind off and so added an extra 3 rows to it. On hindsight, I should have just done a normal bind off or taken a few rows off the ribbing. Then I might have had enough yarn for the sleeves.

The popper buttons at the bottom are also quite fiddly to use. In retrospect, what I should have done is to sew the poppers to a piece of cloth / interface and then sew that to the knitted garment rather than to sew the poppers directly to the knitted garment.

It is such a cute design and has a flattering cute shape to it. And fits my baby quite well. The sleeves are a bit loose and the neckline is sloppy, but overall I’m quite happy with it. I might make another one!

viewed 28 times
Finished
October 21 2017
December 13 2017
About this pattern
chanvictoria's star rating
chanvictoria's difficulty rating
25 projects, in 43 queues
About this yarn
by Debbie Bliss
Sport
55% Merino, 33% Acrylic, 12% Cashmere goat
137 yards / 50 grams
chanvictoria's star rating

44021 projects

stashed 25348 times

  • Originally queued: September 9, 2017
  • Project created: October 21, 2017
  • Finished: December 13, 2017
  • Updated: January 30, 2018
  • Progress updates: 5 updates