Anna-Jo's projects
Hourglass Jacket
Finished
December 24 2011
May 12 2012
Project info
Hourglass Jacket
Hourglass Jacket by Jennifer Hansen
Crochet
Me
Hooks & yarn
3.25 mm (D)
Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo DK
10 skeins = 1050.0 yards (960.1 meters), 500 grams
162
10904
Red-purple
Marmalade Yarns in Frome, Somerset
Notes

The pattern calls for a 3.25mm hook, which I don’t own. Have tried making a swatch with 3mm and 3.5mm hooks, but clearly the pattern is spot on! I’ve had to send off for a 3.25mm hook as they’re not commonly stocked in the UK.

The broomstick technique is a bit of a challenge in terms of holding the stick comfortably. Otherwise quite easy. A longer stick would help - maybe I should buy a length of dowelling…

NB - I accidentally put the swatch in the tumble drier after washing. It doesn’t look quite so pretty, but it hasn’t changed size so that’s good.

9th March 2012:

The broomstick fabric works up really quickly and the pattern is easy to follow. Really enjoying making this so far.

11th March:

I took note of the observations here on Ravelry and chose to make the small size, even though my measurements are at the upper end of the medium range. This is working out fine for the width, but not the length as there wasn’t enough ease under the arms. I’ve added in an extra broomstick row before joining under the arms to compensate. I suspect I shall end up adding a row or two onto the lower edge as well.

21st March:

I’m getting into the ribbed treble crochet waist section now. It’s not as much fun to crochet as the broomstick was. I might take breaks from it and start on the sleeves to keep my interest up.

30th March:

I’m finding crocheting the waist ribbing pretty boring, and I don’t like the resulting fabric as much as the broomstick section. I’m now on row eight and still decreasing as I want it to hug my waist rather than end up baggy.

I’ve also crocheted the first sleeve round - adding in the extra row earlier on actually made it much easier to fit in the required number of stitches!

6th April

I’m working the first sleeve in the round - am in row two of the decreases and it’s fitting beautifully. I’m not sure if I’m going to have enough yarn to make the cardi a couple of rows longer AND make the sleeves a decent length. I’m trying to decide whether to order more now, or just see how long I can make it with what I have left.

12th April

I ended up making five broomstick rows below the waistband section, and have now done the plackets and collar. I only needed to work two scs in each of the rows along the front, whether broomstick, dc or post stitches. I also made five buttonholes rather than four, but kept them at 2 stitches wide as I’d rather have more, smaller buttons. I’ve also worked all the ends away as I’ve been going, which is nice as I hate having all those left at the end of a project!

I’m now going to use my remaining whole ball to work the second sleeve, and then divide up the yarn from last, almost whole ball evenly between the sleeves and see how long I can get them.

9th May 2012:

Finished the sleeves last night. Just a few ends to weave away and the buttons to sew on now. Oh, and blocking. Can’t wait to wear this one!

14th May 2012:

All finished now - it’s really comfortable to wear. I do need to block it to the correct length, though, as it looks way too short right now. If I ever make this pattern again (which I’d like to), I plan to do away with the ribbed section and just keep going in broomstick. I’d also make it about 6 inches longer. I would also make the sleeves full length and finish them off with single crochet like the plackets.

It’s taken me a long time to make because I’ve been doing other things alongside it, and only crochet for an hour or so each evening anyway. I could have finished it much quicker if I’d really concentrated on it - it’s a pretty fast pattern and quite straightforward once you get used to the technique.

viewed 166 times | helped 2 people
Finished
December 24 2011
May 12 2012
About this pattern
Anna-Jo's star rating
Anna-Jo's difficulty rating
183 projects, in 637 queues
About this yarn
by Sirdar
DK
80% Rayon from Bamboo, 20% Wool
105 yards / 50 grams
Anna-Jo's star rating

12387 projects

stashed 9166 times

  • Project created: December 24, 2011
  • Finished: May 14, 2012
  • Updated: May 25, 2016
  • Progress updates: 14 updates