Oslo basket
May 31, 2021
June 6, 2021

Oslo basket

Project info
Oslo basket by Sys Fredens
Needles & yarn
US 10½ - 6.5 mm
Briggs & Little Heritage
646 yards in stash
3.4 skeins = 732.5 yards (669.8 meters), 384 grams

Chose this pattern because I wanted something that was worked from the centre outwards, so I could make the most of the yardage I’ve got. Not following it precisely -- just using it as a starting point for building an improvised shape.

Holding the B&L doubled, and trying to focus the bright cobalt on the outside, more visible, parts.

The idea is for this to be a cat basket, or potentially just a hold-all “stuff” basket for my sister. I will felt it, and likely also add a bit of boning in the rim for structure.


Ending the bottom at 132 sts — even with the centre done in navy, that’s pretty much the end of the Quoddy Blue (denim-y blue, 1 full skein). Going to do a couple of rounds in navy and then switch over to the cobalt for the sides.


I worked the sides vertically for about 3.5”, then started doing decreases every second knit round (so every 4th round since it’s garter), and then every round. The edges now curl upwards and inwards for a sort of pebbly shape. Ending by doing a few rounds in straight reverse stockinette, which will fold over to encase some boning for structure once this is felted.

Binding off with one strand, one strand at a time (the working yarn was doubled, so effectively I’m doubling the number of sts to bind off, but doing it with only one strand so it’s not bulky). I am hoping this means the edge, which I’ll sew down around the boning, doesn’t shrink too firmly when I felt it.


Two yards of boning was JUST enough to make rings for both the top and bottom of the basket. For the top, I used just the plastic (not the fabric covering) and stitched the reverse stockinette brim over it. For the bottom, I wrapped the fabric-covered boning in the navy yarn, and then stitched that into place. Both rings give the basket a lot more structure than one alone would have, though it’s still floppable.

Now it’s decision time: do I call this “done” or do I do something to decorate it? An embroidered Sewcialists logo or flowers? a sewn-on patch or two? (I have to give this to G in 2 weeks’ time so if I’m ordering patches it’s now or never.)


Decided to add bunting! Used some tiny scraps of wool felt that G had bought for Christmas garlands we both have, so it’s extra “us”. I just stitched each corner down, and was able to run the thread through the thickness of the fabric so it’s totally invisible from the other side (and less attractive to kitten paws, I hope).

This is a stashbusting project but doesn’t qualify for stashdown because I acquired the yarn this year.

viewed 9 times
May 31, 2021
June 6, 2021
About this pattern
from Hobbii
10 projects, in 44 queues
AnnieBee's overall rating
AnnieBee's clarity rating
AnnieBee's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Briggs & Little
100% Wool
215 yards / 113 grams

7624 projects

stashed 5122 times

AnnieBee's star rating
  • Project created: May 31, 2021
  • Finished: June 11, 2021
  • Updated: June 25, 2021
  • Progress updates: 3 updates