Merlot Hoodie
July 25, 2010
August 21, 2010

Merlot Hoodie

Project info
Salem Hooded Jacket by Melissa LaBarre
Needles & yarn
US 9 - 5.5 mm
Knit Picks Swish Bulky
274 yards in stash
8 skeins = 1096.0 yards (1002.2 meters), 800 grams
knit picks

8/21 Okay now officially done. Found some cute buttons at my fave LYS Twisted & just sewed the last one on. I love this sweater. I’ll hopefully get photos tomorrow since it’s suppose to be cool out.

8/18 Blocking! ended up adding about 3 inches to the hood & I like it much better.

Now I need to find buttons - seriously I can’t believe that I finished this in less than a month - I mean I know it’s “bulky” (really more an aran to me) on size 9s but seriously, fastest sweater I’ve ever done.

Photos I might wait until I’m in Seattle to take, which was my intent. but we’ll see how the weather is this weekend.

8/16 was done with the knitting, just need to sew the pockets. but I think the hood is too small so I’m going to undo the bindoff and add a couple inches. This is still the quickest I’ve done a full sweater.

Not sure if I really need a icord bindoff after all, the slipped stitches make a nice edge all ready.

8/15 Finished hood. Probably the most boring part. I can’t believe I worked on it during our heatwave. I even tried the sweater on - I love it. I think it’ll be a favorite, though I probably should have made the hood bigger, we’ll see after blocking.

Now just the pockets and sewing the underarms should finish this week

8/13 completed the yoke (minus the eyelet row) and on to the hood. Looks like I’ll have plenty of yarn left - I have 2 full skeins left, & 3/4 of 2 others. Hooray!

I love this sweater so far - although it suddenly got really hot here, so I probably won’t be working on it as much the next couple of days.

8/10 A day home sick resulted in attaching the sleeves to the body of my sweater. It looks like a real sweater now! Now on to the yoke - I’m planning on leaving off the eyelets. Not my style, as cute as it is.

8/8 11 inches into the body, going pretty quickly. In addition to adding button holes, I’m also slipping the first stitch of every row. I might do a an icord bindoff since I like the way it looks on my CPH. We’ll see if I have enough yarn though

8/7 finished the beginning of the body, and on to the pocked. I’m doing them like Rooibos -which is what this yarn started out as in the first place. I’m also adding buttons every 3 inches.

8/5 Finally finished the sleeves.

I think I’m going to add buttons to the length of the cardigan - I like the look of the original but I think I’d wear it more with buttons all down rather just the top.

8/1 I’m about 14 inches into the sleeves, I find it odd that the sleeves for all sizes is 18 inches. I do plan on going to at least 20 for my monkey arms.

Also, the circumference for the sleeves at the cuff is much bigger than what appears in the photo. I don’t mind (and I’m certainly not going to rip back) but I think if I knew that, I probably would have done the cuffs with a smaller needle size and probably cast on fewer stitches. At first I thought my gauge was off, but nope, the schematic shows it as 14.75” - same as the top of the sleeve.

7/25 swatching with Swish Bulky, I think it will work out.

And it did! I’m starting the sleeves, doing both at once by Magic Loop. It’s nice to have a pattern that instructs you to start with the sleeves - no more sleeve land at the end of the project!

viewed 1050 times | helped 16 people
July 25, 2010
August 21, 2010
About this pattern
118 projects, in 333 queues
BabblingStacey's overall rating
BabblingStacey's clarity rating
BabblingStacey's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Knit Picks
100% Merino
137 yards / 100 grams

5642 projects

stashed 2859 times

BabblingStacey's star rating
  • Project created: July 26, 2010
  • Updated: August 22, 2010
  • Progress updates: 6 updates