HaloBall's projects
Alexander Hamilton Musical amigurumi

HaloBall > notebook > projects > Alexander Hamilton Musical amigurumi

Finished
December 10 2017
December 15 2017
Project info
Alexander Hamilton Musical amigurumi
Alexander Hamilton Musical amigurumi by Allison Hoffman
Crochet
Mom
Hooks & yarn
3.5 mm (E)
Notes

See blog post here: http://www.presidentress.com/2017/12/alexander-hamilton-a...

This is the second doll I’ve made based on the author’s patterns (the first was a Warren G. Harding doll https://www.ravelry.com/projects/HaloBall/amigurume-doll). This time around, the main parts of the doll went really fast, but all the detail—especially the facial hair!—meant this one took a lot longer! Still, it was easy to work on in chunks here and there over a few days.

I made the whole doll in thin-ish worsted weight yarn with an E hook. (The only exceptions were the white ruffles, which I did with sock yarn and a C hook, as suggested. I did need to add a few stitches to the sleeve cuffs to accommodate for the slightly larger circumference of the arms, probably since I used a slightly larger hook than called for for the body.)

I think the pattern calls for a different hook size for the hair, but I used the same hook (and same weight yarn) for the head and the hair. That allows the wig cap to fit tightly on the head, and is just the right size.

Since I used worsted weight for the jacket, I did need to make a few alterations to it, shortening it by about 4 rows. I also added a row of sc around the opening to give it a little more width before adding the lapels. This also allowed me to transition cleanly to the other color, since i used navy for the main part of the coat and beige for the lapels.

I recommend sewing on the cuffs AFTER putting the jacket on. The sleeves were a tight fit as they were, and I can’t imagine trying to cram through the cuffs also.

I had planned on gluing on the beads, as instructed, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I was afraid they’d fall off and afraid I’d drop glue on the doll, etc. I also wasn’t thrilled with the idea of sewing them on. I HATE sewing, dealing with thread, knotting stuff, weaving in ends, etc. I considered skipping them, but my husband insisted I needed them.

Then it occurred to me I could use embroidery floss rather than thread (somehow this was more appealing in my mind). Also, I realized I could start at the top of a lapel, sew on a bead, then without breaking the floss, I could work it down the back flap of the lapel to the next spot, sew on the next button, repeat. It actually went REALLY fast, they’re nice and secure, and I only had to weave in a few ends. Highly recommend!

I STRONGLY recommend the author’s YouTube videos for help with embroidering the face. It doesn’t show Hamilton specifically, but the info is great in general—I wish I’d known about the videos when I made my first doll. I didn’t even know curved needles were a thing!

I’m so happy with the way this came out!

viewed 15 times | helped 1 person
Finished
December 10 2017
December 15 2017
 
About this pattern
HaloBall's star rating
HaloBall's difficulty rating
26 projects, in 33 queues
  • Project created: December 14, 2017
  • Finished: December 20, 2017
  • Updated: December 27, 2017
  • Progress updates: 2 updates