MadgeFace's projects
Empire Fylingdales
Finished
March 17 2013
May 14 2013
Project info
Empire Fylingdales
Fylingdales by Lisa Lloyd
Knitting
me
s (42")
Needles & yarn
US 7 - 4.5 mm
Miss Babs Yowza
1680 yards in stash
fibre space in Alexandria, Virginia
Notes

Be warned: I’m more chatty than usual in these notes.

March 22

The plan:

  • 4” of ribbing instead of 3” (already did this with body hem).

  • worked ribbing on size 7s,
    working body on size 6s to make
    doubley sure the ribbing doesn't pull
    in to make a firmer fabric.
    1 This plan didn’t work out. I frogged back & am using 7s on the body.

  • work in stockinette until the body measures ~11 or 12” (should be just below the bust) and then work the cabled pattern.

  • do less decreases on the sleeves because other people’s notes say the sleeves are a bit tight. I also saw something about working a few rounds after picking up before starting the sleeve shaping, but I haven’t checked that out totally yet.

I already CO twice - once doing tubular, which was too bulky. I have hopes that I’ll remember it’s too bulky for worsted weight yarn, but will probably do this again. Next, I did a crocheted temp CO and after finishing 4” of ribbing & 3” of stockinette, I’ve gone back to pick up the edge and use Jeny’s suprisingly stretchy bind-off because I liked the results I got with it on another project (drayenob shawl).

April 4

Body is complete, narrowly avoided doing 3-needle-BO before I was supposed to (I was tired and skipped critical phrases in the pattern). It fits well - the waist worked out well & hits where I planned, it’s long enough, and with the button bands, the fronts should be wide enough. Picking up for the sleeves next and plan to use Barbara G. Walker’s short-row sleeve to imitate set-it sleeves. May finish before it gets too warm to wear.

Sidenote: just realized I read the cable chart wrong comparing my in-hand body to pictures of other projects - instead of k1 p1 cable p1 k1 seed stitch, I did k1 p1 cable seed stitch. I’m going to blame a recent concussion (2/23) for that and just keep it as is - no wonder I needed to make my own chart to keep everything straight. At least I made the left & right fronts mirror images of each other.

May 10

It’s done, washed & blocked & buttonless. I have buttons I’d like to use, but the manufacturer no longer makes them – I got them ~2 1/2 years ago at JoAnn’s, so it’s not like they’re that exotic. Got to solve the button problem - we’ve had a coolish spring and I could be wearing it.


  1. I knit another sweater, Creusa, with this yarn and the fabric was super loose on 8s - typically 1 needle size doesn't have a noticeable impact on my gauge, so that's why I'm using 6s famous last words - 6st/inch on 6s, 5 on 7s, which is still tighter than what the pattern calls for. Also, Yowza pilled a fair amount in Creusa form - hoping tighter fabric will mean a little less pilling, but may be deluding myself about that.

viewed 256 times | helped 3 people
Finished
March 17 2013
May 14 2013
About this pattern
249 projects, in 397 queues
MadgeFace's overall rating
MadgeFace's clarity rating
MadgeFace's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Miss Babs
DK
100% Merino
560 yards / 226 grams

16945 projects

stashed 16060 times

MadgeFace's star rating
  • Project created: March 18, 2013
  • Finished: May 14, 2013
  • Updated: April 19, 2016
  • Progress updates: 3 updates