Sitka Spruce
In progress
October 24, 2018
work in progress

Sitka Spruce

Project info
Sitka Spruce by tincanknits
HatBeret, Tam
HatBeanie, Toque
Needles & yarn
US 6 - 4.0 mm
US 7 - 4.5 mm
Hobby Lobby I Love This Wool! Solids (93/7 blend)

It’s finally feeling autumnal, and I want to knit something!

The yarn is some I dyed myself (using food dyes). I actually don’t know which version of “I Love This Wool” it is, but that shouldn’t matter. It started off as cream, and I overdyed with yellow for a tonal effect.

Cast on 96 sts on a size 6 needle, long-tail cast-on. Using magic loop method through the whole hat. Will switch up to a size 7 needle after the brim.

Ach! This hat has been much more work than it should’ve been!

I was just a round or so from starting the decrease chart and took a progress photo for my craft blog-- when I spotted a mistake. One of the twisted stitches was twisted in the wrong direction. Then I looked at the other side and found another stitch leaning the wrong way!

The hat was obviously still wearable, but I was disappointed and wanted to fix those two stitches-- however I was scared about dropping down the fix something some many rounds down the pattern, because the way these stitches work, I thought it might end up being a huge mess.

I asked for advice here on Ravelry and got some great tips. Eventually, I decided that the simplest solution (well, other than ignoring the mistakes!) was to work duplicate stitch to hide the boo-boos. (Don’t know why that didn’t occur to me!)

So, I went back to knitting and started the first round of the decrease…

Oops, made a stupid mistake! Missed making one stitch in the first repeat. Easy enough to tink back and start over.

Except something went terribly wrong. Honestly, I don’t even remember what it was, at the moment… I guess it was such a traumatic experience that I’ve blanked it out as a defense mechanism. ;o)

In any event, I ended up just taking the project off the needles and frogging back to the round before my first mistake-- the earliest wrong-leaning twisted stitch. (In for a penny, in for a pound!)

I actually managed to pick up all those stitches again. (Nearly miraculous, but wool makes it easier!) I wasn’t sure I was doing it right. (Was I untwisting stitches somehow? I really don’t know much about the construction and mounting of twisted stitches…) But at least it was possible that it was right… If nothing else, it wasn’t just a puddle of frogged yarn (yet).

So. Before setting it aside for the day, I figured out where I was in the pattern repeat-- or so I thought. Again, I don’t know what happened here. Either I changed the row counter to the wrong number from sheer incompetence-- or I merely (mistakenly) thought I’d changed it the next morning, when I picked it back up.

In any case, some early-Saturday-morning stitching was going very well, until I looked back at my work and realized that I must’ve been knitting the wrong round of the pattern! (!!!)

SIGH. Ok. Let’s tink that round. It was a fairly slow, tedious process-- and then I goofed again (don’t ask) and very nearly threw a hissy fit and ripped the whole darn thing out.

A few deep breaths and the knitting-repair equivalent of a Hail Mary pass later, and I think I’m back on the right path. That may change at any moment.

This hat shouldn’t be this hard to knit!
When I finally finish, it will be worth all the frustration just to say that I didn’t give up.

viewed 26 times
In progress
October 24, 2018
work in progress
About this pattern
1551 projects, in 1654 queues
MossyOwls' overall rating
MossyOwls' clarity rating
MossyOwls' difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Hobby Lobby
93% Wool, 7% Nylon
219 yards / 100 grams

2819 projects

stashed 1244 times

MossyOwls' star rating
  • Originally queued: August 26, 2013
  • Project created: October 24, 2018
  • In progress: October 24, 2018
  • Updated: November 17, 2018