Nimruse's projects
Gothic Lodge Sweater
Finished
November 19 2018
December 19 2018
Project info
Gothic Lodge Sweater
Betty & Judy Lodge Sweater by Amy Appel
Knitting
Needles & yarn
US 7 - 4.5 mm
US 8 - 5.0 mm
19 stitches and 28 rows = 4 inches
in stockinette before blocking on large needle
882 yards = 4.05 skeins
Pandia's Jewels Hand Dyed Yarn Comfy
135 yards in stash
0.38 skeins = 82.8 yards (75.7 meters), 38 grams
Natural/Undyed
Pandia's Jewels Hand Dyed Yarn Comfy
179 yards in stash
3.18 skeins = 693.2 yards (633.9 meters), 318 grams
Black
Pandia's Jewels Hand Dyed Yarn Comfy
174 yards in stash
0.2 skeins = 43.6 yards (39.9 meters), 20 grams
Red
Pandia's Jewels Hand Dyed Yarn Comfy
155 yards in stash
0.29 skeins = 63.2 yards (57.8 meters), 29 grams
Green
Notes

Ok- you all know me. While I love this sweater I need to make it suit me…. so of course I need to put a skull or a bat in here some where.

It took several attempts but instead of doing something completely different in the space I only did a small alteration to the chart and added a skull.

PROJECT NOTES

  • I really dislike wrap and turns… so I am doing German Shorts Rows instead.

  • going to try and do the colorwork as Intarsia. I have never done this before. Using this tutorial I found here.

  • Went with Plan B and decided not do original mod to design. This is more stranded colorwork so it should be a little easier than Intarsia.

  • Don’t like the large white space leading up to the pattern so I went in and embroidered some black stitches.

  • Forgot to blend the black skeins so that was no pooling- gonna frog back and start over.

  • Had a hard time understating the directions for the sleeves which is why I hate hate hate W&T. So I am doing German short rows instead. I actually had to frog and start over with this.

  • Realized that I am still doing the sleeve directions wrong and did more short rows than I should before the center decreases. So I have one decrease that will go past marker X. I hope the sleeve caps still look right as I have no intention of frogging again. I just want this project to be over.

  • After completeing the short rows on the sleeves I ended up with 62 sts instead of 58. I think I was supposed to do some tog at some point but for some reason I find these directions to be so confusing. It worked out for the best though- my upper arms tend to be larger so the sleeves fit nicely without being pulled. But I think because I did the decreases wrong there is not much puff on the top of my sleeves.

November 25, 2018

Just finished the upper right back section and I am actually on gauge without it being blocked. So since this is a Superwash there is a part of me that feels I should go down a size cause this might grow just with wear.

November 27, 2018

I made a small swatch…. Whut?! Yes, I did. With US 7 needles and after blocking it was still smaller than the gauge required so I will keep knitting on the US 8.

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around doing the design in Intarsia. And since I am so familiar with stranded colorwork my attempt looked like a combination of the two techniques which in no way was working. So I have frogged back. It is late… so I will try this again in the morning. If I fail again then I will just embroider the design on.

I am not the only one having difficulty with this. I have seen a few others mention it in their notes as well.

November 29, 2018

After a late night and many many tangles later I am not sure how I feel about the design I have on this. I am thinking of frogging back and starting over with something different.

December 4, 2018

Completely frogged back the colorwork last night and started working on plan B this evening.

December 18, 2018

UGH
I just realized I have been knitting the sleeves two at time on different needles. One sleeve was knit on US 8 and one on US 7. This happened because I put my one set of interchangeable back in the wrong spot in my needle case. And I forgot to go up like the pattern said after picking up stitches for the sleeves.

This sweater has been plagued with nothing but problems from the start. Good thing it’s for the holidays and will only be worn once a year.

viewed 148 times
Finished
November 19 2018
December 19 2018
 
About this pattern
Nimruse's star rating
Nimruse's difficulty rating
90 projects, in 254 queues
About this yarn
by Pandia's Jewels Hand Dyed Yarn
Worsted
75% Merino, 25% Nylon
218 yards / 100 grams
Nimruse's star rating

70 projects

stashed 62 times

  • Originally queued: September 14, 2018
  • Project created: November 19, 2018
  • Updated: December 31, 2018
  • Progress updates: 7 updates