ShutUpAndKnit's projects
Refunded
Finished
August 8 2014
August 22 2014
Project info
Refunded
Lidiya by Natalia Gilmore
Knitting
PinkyD!
Needles & yarn
US 4 - 3.5 mm
US 9 - 5.5 mm
madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light
0.8 skeins = 336.0 yards (307.2 meters)
Blue
Jimmy Beans Wool in Reno, Nevada
Notes

I made the mistake of buying this pattern the day it came out. There were errors in the first version of this pattern. Both charts had mistakes. I told the designer, who fixed some of the mistakes but not all of them. She refunded me the cost of the pattern, which was kind but unnecessary. This is not the first bad pattern I have ever purchased. If I’m lucky, it will be last but that seems unlikely.

The mistakes on the setup chart have been corrected. However, the Flower Chart is still a mess. The designer knows this but has not issued an update to fix the mistakes. I had to tell her how to issue an update to fix the issues with the setup chart. She seems a bit out of her element in dealing with patterns, charts and updates. Hopefully, she will get into the swing soon.

Editing to add: I did not use the garter stitch cast on because life’s too short. Also, I just unpinned it. I love the yarn and almost don’t hate the scarf because of how lovely the yarn is. Almost…

August 27, 2014: Pattern Update was issued to fix issues with stitch count on body section of pattern. I wondered how long it would take for her to notice that. HOWEVER, the edging chart errors remain. Designer and her friends are spending a lot of time on my blog, yet the pattern has not been fully updated. Very odd.

Flower Chart:
Row 1: The stitch count is off. The designer told me this when I messaged her but she has not updated the pattern to fix the issue.

Row3: Stitch count is still an issue because Row1 is off. The first repeat of the main repeat needs more decreases than the chart calls for. If you don’t get it right at the start, the stitches will never line up. Easy enough to figure out but a nightmare if you are naive enough to trust the chart.

Row 5: Again, the first repeat of the main repeat is off and you need more decreases than the chart indicates.

Row 7: If you are using stitch markers between repeats, there is a shift in where they go in this row. Very confusing if you are depending on the chart to be right and your makers to be in the right place. Although, it is the first right side row that does not have mistakes, so it could be worse.

Row 9: I had to zoom in on a photo on the pattern page to make sure I was working this row the right way. The decreases are going the wrong way. If you want your finished scarf to look like the one on the pattern page, this is going to be an issue.

Row 11: Markers will be in the wrong place again.

I loved the edging increases. HOWEVER, it leaves a tight edge that was not fun to block. I’m pondering a work around…

As of this typing, there has not been an update to the pattern to fix the chart issues. I am, however, grateful to the designer for updating the one and only time she has done so. That fixed the issue with the edging chart not having any of the NO STITCH boxes that it needed to be workable.

I bought the pattern the day it came out because I had the yarn plus a bit leftover from another project. Turns out, I used less than a full skein. Hindsight being what it is, I wish I had gone up a needle size. I might like the finished scarf better if it was slightly bigger.

While I love the yarn, there are only so many chances with a merino single. If I had known this pattern was going to be such a mess, I would have used a more forgiving yarn.

I’ve knit a lot of patterns over the years. Done a lot of lace and talked to a lot of designers. However, nothing could have prepared me for this.

If all issues were to be fixed, I think this could be a cute little scarf. As is, it’s not worth the trouble.

Oh! And it took less than five days to knit. However, it spend nearly three weeks in the Ottoman of Shame because of how frustrated I was with the pattern and the designer’s lack of interest in fixing her pattern. I have never had to put a project in the Ottoman before.

viewed 381 times | helped 9 people
Finished
August 8 2014
August 22 2014
 
About this pattern
9 projects, in 13 queues
ShutUpAndKnit's overall rating
ShutUpAndKnit's clarity rating
ShutUpAndKnit's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by madelinetosh
Fingering
100% Merino
420 yards

96960 projects

stashed 116138 times

ShutUpAndKnit's star rating
  • Project created: August 23, 2014
  • Finished: August 23, 2014
  • Updated: August 29, 2014