Teapot Not Included
June 16, 2013
June 16, 2014

Teapot Not Included

Project info
Tempest by Ann Weaver
Size E to get 35.5"
Needles & yarn
US 3 - 3.25 mm
US 6 - 4.0 mm
1,015 yards = 5.8 skeins
Koigu Painter's Palette Premium Merino (KPPPM)
105 yards in stash
2.4 skeins = 420.0 yards (384.0 meters), 120 grams
Jimmy Beans Wool in Reno, Nevada
November 18, 2012
Koigu Painter's Palette Premium Merino (KPPPM)
105 yards in stash
3.4 skeins = 595.0 yards (544.1 meters), 170 grams
Jimmy Beans Wool in Reno, Nevada
November 18, 2012

Before blocking:
22 sts/3.75” (=23.5 sts/4”)
30 rows/4”

After blocking:
22 sts/4”
30 rows/4”

A minor difference compared to the goal gauge but multiplied out means my 35” size would end up as a 32”. (35” * 5sts/1” = 175sts ÷ 5.5sts/1” = 31.8”) Yikes. I hesitate to use a US7, though. From past experience, I just don’t like the material it creates - too loose.

Alternatively I could follow the directions for the 39” and get a 35.5”. (39” * 5sts/1” = 195sts ÷ 35.5”) But I think I might run out of yarn. Must contemplate.

Screw it. Jimmy Beans still has 4 skeins of my MC left in the matching dye lot. Bought another one. Now I’ll follow the 39” pattern to get a 35.5”.

21 Jun
Working on the back piece, up to the waist shaping increases. This is going very fast!

26 Jun
Finished with the back. Now doing the front sides two-at-a-time.

29 Oct
Moving house plus general laziness has kept me from working on this. Basically, I have learned that I find knitting pieces of a sweater boring. Not because it is side to side but because you do all this work… and have a shapeless thing of nothing. Sigh. Not very fulfilling.

But! I have now finished all the pieces (minus bind off for the arms). Next is blocking and assembly.

21 Nov
Started seaming. It’s taking a while but it looks good!

22 Nov
All seamed together! The waist shaping is kind of… extreme? It fits my body when when held closed but when open, it’s a bit much. I hope a final blocking will work that out.

26 Nov
Hem done! I’m doing the bottom hem before the button band since I want the button band to run the entire length of the front, not the front minus the hem.

11 Dec
Did a doubled over button band and got it hemmed down today. Needs blocking to flatten it out and probably sew together the buttonholes.

19 Dec
Switched to US3 and did 2/2 ribbing for 3” or so on the sleeves. Used this video tutorial to finally grasp a tubular bind off for 2/2 rib. Now, to sew the rest of the ends in, block it and deal with the buttons.

I’ll hopefully be able to stretch it a little longer since it seems a bit shorter than anticipated. Also would like to block out the extremeness of the waist shaping some.

This is a bit tighter overall than expected but it looks good. I have broad shoulders and that can cause a little tightness in the sleeve area with fitted sweaters. This has that tightness but it just requires some little fidgeting right after I put the sweater on. I do agree that the slight negative ease across the shoulders helps keep the sleeve caps in an attractive shape.

Ultimately, if I did this again I would probably do it in the round (not only do I find knitting pieces boring, my seams seem to end up tight), gentle out the bottom flare of the waist shaping, do the sleeves in the round (and maybe contiguous…). Oh, and probably use one size larger needle on the button band than the pattern calls for. (The button band. She pulls.)

Overall, I’m happy with where I think this finished product will end up! (Once it finishes blocking and I deal with the buttons.)

2014 Jun 16
This puppy has been sitting there for months with no buttons. I have been distracted by socks. But now the buttons are on and I am done!

viewed 291 times | helped 1 person
June 16, 2013
June 16, 2014
About this pattern
1347 projects, in 3087 queues
aug3zimm's overall rating
aug3zimm's clarity rating
aug3zimm's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Koigu
100% Merino
175 yards / 50 grams

43813 projects

stashed 48480 times

aug3zimm's star rating
  • Originally queued: November 19, 2012
  • Project created: June 16, 2013
  • Finished: June 16, 2014
  • Updated: January 3, 2015
  • Progress updates: 4 updates