kellbot's projects
Baby Sweater!
Finished
October 17 2012
October 24 2012
Project info
Baby Sweater!
Conception Machine Knit Baby Cardigan by Yvonne Kadwell
Knitting
Leona
Large
Needles & yarn
435 yards = 1 skein
Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock Multi
none left in stash
1 skein = 435.0 yards (397.8 meters), 100 grams
Blue
Hidden River Yarns in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Notes

Gauge: 15 stitches x 23 rows per 2” on machine tension 6

Since I don’t have a knitleader, and don’t like the idea of cut+sewing rectangles, I made my own pseudo-charting device. I knit a swatch, calculated the gauge, and then printed out a grid at that gauge onto a transparency sheet.
The I printed out the pattern and placed the transparency on top, then traced the pattern onto it. That made it easy to see how many stitches I needed to decrease on each row.

10/17 Knit the back panel, which was going to be the front panel except I totally forgot it’s a button-up not a pullover, so I frogged a couple of rows and then followed the pattern for the back instead. Haphazardly stuck it on the blocking mats just to make sure it was the right general shape and size.

10/18 Knit the right side, and stuck it on the blocking mat along with the back. So far the size / shape is just about perfect, so I think my makeshift charting system works. Knit the left side, and set all 3 pieces to wet block overnight. Still deciding on the sleeve length.

10/19 I’m not sure how I managed to do the front stockinette edge binding incorrectly three times, but i did. Letting this sit for the weekend to think about what it’s done.

10/23 Finally managed to get the edge binding on the sides. I cast on 68 stitches for each. Cast on 120 for the collar, which lined up with my estimates, but the collar came out a bit big. I’m debating whether to rip it back and redo it, but I’m a little sick of hemming right now so I think I’ll work on the sleeves and come back to it.

10/24 Knit the sleeves and attached them. I need to practice binding off as my tension was much too tight and it made the sleeve seems wobbly. Redid the collar with 100 stitches and it looks much better.

The sweater is finished! I still want to add buttons, and maybe embellish the front a bit, but I haven’t really figure out what I want to do for that and fall is here, so I’m calling it done for now. This project was a really good re-introduction to my machine, and good practice for a number of techniques.

viewed 152 times
Finished
October 17 2012
October 24 2012
 
About this pattern
9 projects, in 19 queues
kellbot's overall rating
kellbot's clarity rating
kellbot's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Lorna's Laces
Fingering
80% Wool, 20% Nylon
435 yards / 100 grams

28513 projects

stashed 34195 times

kellbot's star rating
  • Originally queued: October 16, 2012
  • Project created: October 17, 2012
  • Finished: October 25, 2012
  • Updated: December 2, 2012
  • Progress updates: 6 updates