kylewilliam's projects
Mitered Square Blanket
Finished
July 15 2007
January 6 2011
Project info
Mitered Square Blanket
Knitting
Needles & yarn
US 8 - 5.0 mm
Noro Silk Garden
4 skeins
217
Noro Silk Garden
1 skein = 109.0 yards (99.7 meters), 50 grams
39
Bishops Yarns in Chatsworth, California
Noro Silk Garden
5 skeins = 545.0 yards (498.3 meters), 250 grams
86
Noro Silk Garden
12 skeins = 1308.0 yards (1196.0 meters), 600 grams
243
Noro Silk Garden
3 skeins = 327.0 yards (299.0 meters), 150 grams
224
Noro Silk Garden
7 skeins = 763.0 yards (697.7 meters), 350 grams
234
Notes

Started this project in June 2007 - I made a form that lists the pattern for this project - i just check off boxes for each row, and work down the worksheet for a block - the worksheet, when completed, makes 20 blocks. I find this method much easier than trying to come up with new “marks” for each different row on a ratted copy of the pattern.

Here’s the LINK for the worksheet I used:

http://www.kylewilliam.com/uploads/7/0/0/7/700708/mitered_square_worksheet.pdf

June 30, 2007 - Bishops Yarns in Chatsworth is shutting doen - she’s having a 50% off everything sale - so I bought NORO to make a blanket - I probably have less than half of what I’ll need but it’s a generous start -

July 1, 2007 - my friend Terri cleaned out her stash today - we organized it by project - she had 2 Noro Silk Garden in 243 that she gave me to add to the quest for enough of this to make a queen sized blanket! (Thanks, Terri!)

August 21, 2007 - I have been taking a small break from this project, and thinking about it, I think I’ll make this a “throw” instead of a “blanket” - smaller might be OK - it doesn’t have to be as big as a bed… :)

March 26, 2008 - bought 2 more balls of noro silk garden and put it with the stash for this blanket - I have “robbed” from this stash for other projects while I have been letting this project marinate - and I am wanting other colors to use so that it’s not ALL purple and blue… I need to get more greens or something else happening in this blanket. I haven’t worked on it for a while, but I haven’t given up on it!

6/4/08 - decided to get working on this again - using it as my “carpool” project!

I bought tons more silk garden for this project from Hissy Knits - I believe it’s impossible now to get an accurate list of what colors (exactly) I used - I am afraid that some of the yarn earmarked for this project was robbed and used for other things… so the list of yarn is no longer accurate…

Please note that my pattern may be different from the one you’re using - :)

4/16/09 this has been hibernating and continues to do so… I decided to put it to sleep here as well…

10/7/10 working on this again - I just finished 1 of the 3 squares that I need to complete (I think) to make a blanket - I am pressing on to at least finish the squares - even if I don’t start assembly yet… I might lay it out this weekend to figure out the order that the squares should be in and the method of assembly.

10/20/10 assembling away… 4 of the 5 columns are assembled - I have one more column to assemble, then connecting the 5 columns to each other… then I get to crochet the border - maybe I’ll be done by the weekend! (wishful thinking!)

1/1/11 finishing this is like pulling teeth - I don’t know why I have such an aversion to finishing this blanket - the columns are all assembled and the first two are connected together now - I just need to seam the others then crochet a border around the piece and it’ll be finished. Thinking I started this in 2007 and it’s now 2011 makes me a bit ashamed at how long this WIP has been on my needles --

1/5/11 - columns assembled and after a false start crocheting a border, I decided to pick up all the stitches around the blanket beginning at a random place on one of the long sides, PM before the corner stitch at the 4 corners, and knit more stripes using a solid gray for one color -

Round A) Knit
Round B) Knit to marker, increase, SM, K1, increase, knit to next marker, (continue around)

I repeated these rounds 6 times, then changed color to a Noro silk garden (which is the yarn I used for the blanket) and knit another 6 rounds, then changed back to the gray solid and will continue but changing all the “knit” stitches to seed stitch for the last 4 rounds, being sure to still knit (not purl) the “corner” stitches. I am hoping that the seed stitch edge will keep the piece from rolling.

1/6/11 - FINISHED! - after years of languishing in my WIP list, it’s finally done! Much smaller than I had wanted in the beginning, but a respectable cover up for the sofa - it needs to be blocked and photographed and then it’ll be a true weight off my knitting shoulders!

viewed 366 times | helped 1 person
Finished
July 15 2007
January 6 2011
 
About this pattern
Personal pattern (not in Ravelry)
About this yarn
by Noro
Aran
45% Silk, 45% Mohair, 10% Wool
109 yards / 50 grams

49606 projects

stashed 29521 times

kylewilliam's star rating
  • Project created: July 1, 2007
  • Finished: January 6, 2011
  • Updated: November 13, 2018
  • Progress updates: 3 updates