Tina's Gretel
Finished
April 1, 2011
October 11, 2011

Tina's Gretel

Project info
Gretel by Julie Weisenberger
Knitting
TopsSleeveless Top
Myself
Small
Needles & yarn
Habu Textiles A-174 1/8.5 Cotton Gima
none left in stash
2.5 skeins = 662.5 yards (605.8 meters), 70 grams
38
Red-purple
Vogue Knitting Live
January 22, 2011
Notes

Some notes: I made a number of changes to the pattern, some on purpose and some by accident. At the bottom, I knit too loose, off-gauge. I realised around row 10 or so, that I should be knitting tighter, so I did. I lengthened the waist area, as I have very little shape and more length there than the original pattern calls for. For the top, where the cowl-neck begins, I ended up with too many stitches there, and I M1’d the first stitch incorrectly, which I only realised a few rows later. With no way to go back and fix it, without ripping out the whole thing, I left it, hoping the cowl would drape low enough over the hole to hide it. Unfortunately, the cowl itself is barely noticeable - I’ve no idea why. I added the number of stitches the pattern called for. In the end, I think I made the thing a size too small for the cowl to work, as my boobs seem to take up all the space that was made. I suppose that’s a good thing. I prefer tighter-fitting clothes anyway.

October 10th: FINALLY FINISHED KNITTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have to weave in ends, wash, block and seam.

May 27th: Leaned on the new needle while sitting on the bed and snapped it in half. This project is fucking CURSED! FUCK!!!

May 25th: Bought wooden Knit Picks needles to travel with to London. Ended up losing a bunch of stitches and having to-knit almost half of what I’d accomplished thus far.

May 12th: Re-started the project and it’s actually much easier with size 6 needles. I also put it on my metal needles - screw flying! I don’t usually end up knitting much when I’m flying anyway. Almost back to where I realised the original issue.

May 10th: Just realised the wooden circular needle I was sold is a size SEVEN, not a SIX. Which means my entire progress so far is fucked, and I have to start over. Extremely irritating. GRRR!!!!! Now I need to start over. I feel sick. I don’t even want to look at my knitting anymore.

Knitted the swatch, washed it and dried it in the dryer. My gauge isn’t quite right - the stitches are about right, but the rows were too short. Easily fixable I’m sure by adding more. The stitches in this papery yarn are quite uneven, but I suspect there’s not much to be done about that - it’s too fine to spend much time fixing it. I also bound off far too tightly - will have to be careful of that when I’m finishing the top.

viewed 507 times | helped 1 person
Finished
April 1, 2011
October 11, 2011
 
About this pattern
539 projects, in 845 queues
msrevellious' overall rating
msrevellious' clarity rating
msrevellious' difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Habu Textiles
Lace
100% Cotton
265 yards / 28 grams

792 projects

stashed 1166 times

msrevellious' star rating
  • Project created: April 26, 2011
  • Finished: October 18, 2011
  • Updated: May 8, 2022
  • Progress updates: 4 updates