mssun9's projects
Odetta Mitts
Finished
November 3 2017
November 19 2017
Project info
Odetta Mitts
Odetta by Dallas Ann Prentice
Knitting
Me
7.5"
Needles & yarn
US 4 - 3.5 mm
US 5 - 3.75 mm
HiKoo® by skacel CoBaSi
1 skein = 220.0 yards (201.2 meters), 50 grams
Blue
The Fiber Universe
January 2016
madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light
52 yards in stash
Black
eatsleepknit
Notes

I’m doing my first test knit. It’s public so I can talk about it a bit. I actually started on Friday with making gauge swatches. Apparently I knit even tighter than I realized. I was finally able to cast on today (Sunday). The bottom pic is the colors I plan to use. Two of them I have no clue what brand or anything of yarn they are. I only remember I picked them up at my local Joann’s because they were pretty. The CoBaSi I bought to do heels/cuffs on socks for my oldest son, but I no longer know what colorway it is.

So far this has been a nice quick project (other than the swatching). I’m about to start the color work. The top picture is my progress so far.

11-06-2017

DAY 2: Didn’t accomplish much today. Found a bit where the pattern conflicts with itself, and I’m stuck until I get an official ruling. Oh well, that’s what test knitting is for. I’m not gonna do a pic today.

11-07-2017

DAY 3: I got my answer and was able to work hard today and make up for lost time. I’m a bit ahead of schedule now. I love the way the colorwork is working out. It’s been really fun to knit. I tried it on and it’s fitting well. I like the CoBaSi. It feels nice and soft, but not too thick or hot.

11-08-2017

DAY 4: I knit my goal number of rows today. It’s looking great. Not really much to say. Took today’s pic with better lighting.

11-09-2017

DAY 5: Today was rougher. I got my goal rows done easy enough, then realized I’d missed an important step and had to frog and redo over half of them. I also realized I don’t have the right needles for one part, so I ordered them and my left mitt is done except the thumb. Right mitt will be started tomorrow.

11-10-2017

DAY 6: Today was mostly a bust. I tried to cast on the 2nd mitt 3 times. I did finally succeed the last time. The first 2 I kept getting interrupted and losing my place. I had decided to try a tubular cast one for the first time, so I was having difficulty reading the knitting to figure it out again. I did not accomplish as much as I had hoped.

11-11-2017

DAY 7: Today I got a lot of knitting time, much of it on a road trip. I made up for yesterday and got done what I wanted to accomplish today. However I had 2 row where my stitch counts seemed to be off. I couldn’t find the issue in the car in the dark, so I’ll look at it tomorrow, might be a pattern error.

11-12-2017

DAY 8: Looked at it again. Yep I got my thumb gusset off by one stitch again. I frogged several rows and got them redone, but only got 2 of the rows for today done. I’m a bit behind where I want to be, but I still have time to finish.

11-13-2017

DAY 9: Sick today. Did nothing.

11-14-2017

DAY 10: I forgot to get a picture, but I finished my goal today. I didn’t make up any extra, but I’m still on course to finish this week.

11-15-2017

I got a lot done today, but I forgot to take a pic. I’ve only got a couple more rows of ribbing and the thumbs on both mitts to do.

11-16-2017

DAY 12: I mostly finish both mitts today. I still need to weave in all the ends. One thing I did, that is technically bad practice is that I used different cast-ons and bind offs on each, but a good way to practice and I don’t expect anyone will be looking close enough to notice or care if they do.

Left Mitt: Long-tail Ribbing Cast on, SSK Bind Off (although I did it from written instructions for the hand, and then watched a video for the thumb and they are different, so I either misunderstood the written directions or there are two with that name.)
Right Mitt: Tubular Cast On and Bind Off

11-17-2017

Day 13: Rest Day. Did nothing.

11-18-2017

DAY 14: Wove in all the ends and gave the mitts a sock. They are currently blocking.

11-19-2017

DAY 15: Finished blocking. Waiting for my husband to have a chance to get some good final pictures of them.

11-21-2017

DAY 17:Finally got pictures. I am done. Can’t wait to use them.

viewed 20 times
Finished
November 3 2017
November 19 2017
About this pattern
9 projects, in 13 queues
mssun9's overall rating
mssun9's clarity rating
mssun9's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by madelinetosh
Fingering
100% Merino
420 yards

100414 projects

stashed 118485 times

mssun9's star rating
About this yarn
by HiKoo® by skacel
Fingering
55% Cotton, 21% Nylon, 16% Rayon from Bamboo, 8% Silk
220 yards / 50 grams

5636 projects

stashed 6336 times

mssun9's star rating
  • Project created: November 2, 2017
  • Updated: December 9, 2017
  • Progress updates: 6 updates