Hooded Coat Extension Panel (for Babywearing)
November 9, 2010
November 21, 2010

Hooded Coat Extension Panel (for Babywearing)

Project info
Skoodlet by Lee Meredith
Neck / TorsoCowl
Other HeadwearOther
me and Arlo
Needles & yarn
US 10 - 6.0 mm
Malabrigo Yarn Chunky
105 yards in stash
2.44 skeins = 253.8 yards (232.0 meters), 244 grams
Happy Knits in Portland, Oregon

This is a modified version of leethal’s skoodlet, to use when I’m carrying my baby in our Sleepywrap sling. It has a hood for him, and instead of the scarflet sections, it has a long back panel that buttons onto my coat on either side. This way, I’m able to button my coat around him, and we both stay warm! I also added a pocket so I’d be able to keep my hands cozy.

I’m really happy with how it turned out. The only thing I don’t like is that the hood ended up a little too big. I re-knit it a couple of times, worrying that it would be too small (I wanted it big enough to fit over a hat), and I think I went a little overboard. But better too big than too small.

I followed the skoodlet pattern to make the hood, with a few changes to the pattern:

  • I used value a = 7.4x (24 st) instead of 8x (my gauge was 3.25 st/in, so this translated into 24 st)
  • I stopped knitting the section that goes over the top of the head when it was 12 inches long
  • I stopped knitting the joined hood section when it was 8.5 inches flattened
  • For value “c,” I used 2.5x
  • I stopped following the pattern when it got to the scarflet sections

After the hood portion was done, I worked in stockinette stitch (with 7-stitch-wide garter stitch edging) until the panel was 13” long, adding three 3-stitch buttonholes to match up with my coat buttons. Because Arlo is wider at the bottom than at the top, I increased the width of the panel slightly as I worked--it is approx. 15” wide at the top buttonhole and approx. 17” wide at the bottom buttonhole. To do this, I added 2 st (one on each side, right next to the garter edging) every sixth row, more or less.

For the kangaroo pocket, I cast on 24 st, knit in garter stitch for 1”, knit in stockinette stitch for 9”, and then knit another 1” of garter stitch. When it was done, I sewed it onto the front of the panel. It’s a little crooked, but it gets the job done :)

viewed 36622 times | helped 174 people
November 9, 2010
November 21, 2010
About this pattern
172 projects, in 406 queues
mycupcake's overall rating
mycupcake's clarity rating
mycupcake's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Malabrigo Yarn
100% Merino
100 yards / 100 grams

20425 projects

stashed 12271 times

mycupcake's star rating
  • Originally queued: October 28, 2010
  • Project created: November 9, 2010
  • Finished: November 22, 2010
  • Updated: February 8, 2013
  • Progress updates: 6 updates