Rehearsal Dinner Lace Dress
Finished
February 7, 2014
February 24, 2014

Rehearsal Dinner Lace Dress

Project info
#21 Lace Dress by Shirley Paden
Knitting
me
M skirt (maybe S top?)
Needles & yarn
US 7 - 4.5 mm
US 6 - 4.0 mm
US 8 - 5.0 mm
US 4 - 3.5 mm
US 5 - 3.75 mm
Rowan Milk Cotton DK
186 yards in stash
9.5 skeins = 1178.0 yards (1077.2 meters), 475 grams
4011
Natural/Undyed
Herrschnerr's
April 1, 2010
Notes

I’ve thought about making this my wedding dress since 2008. But now I think I might make it as a rehearsal dinner dress instead. Or just a dress to wear anytime I feel like it. :) Actually matched gauge in the pattern with the same needles.

2/9: Been working on this a lot this weekend. My shoulders are sore. Maybe it’s the cotton. I am already 3+ balls into this thing. The skirt is super wide, but I guess it’s swingier than it looks. I am going to change needle sizes a repeat earlier than it says to make it a little smaller. I will think about stopping the skirt a repeat earlier too, if the skirt looks like it is getting too long.

2/15: Finished the skirt using just a little over 6 skeins. I cut out a repeat of the lace, but my skirt was as long as it was supposed to be. Going to start the bodice with the smaller numbers.

2/18: My gauge was huge on the shetland bead lace part. I went down to a 5 for the bodice. And I am knitting less rows than the pattern calls for. I stopped one increase earlier on the front and am still worried about it getting too long on top. If I don’t have to rip this all out, I will probably finish for Ravellenic Games.

2/21: Finished the bodice last night and am blocking it today. I had a little bit of trouble remembering when to increase and I am not sure that the fronts match the back, but I am not worrying about it. Maybe I should have followed people’s advice and charted out the top. But my row gauge ended up way off, so I kind of had to make some adjustments anyway. It got kind of huge when I blocked it, so I had to mush it into a smaller shape. Now I have three days to finish the sash and put it all together. One of those days is a work day though, so we’ll see…

2/24: Finished a day late. All done, but need to weave in the ends this afternoon. The crocheted borders on the sleeve caps was difficult for me. Mainly because I didn’t know how many slip stitches to do around the arm. I had to rip out a couple times because my stitch ratio was off. Plus the yarn was super splitty and especially so during crocheting. The double crochet was tricky getting all of the many plies.

I didn’t gather the skirt using a waste yarn like in the pattern. I just divided the skirt into even section (ditto with the sash) and then eased it in. When I tried on just the sash and the skirt it was still huge. But once I sewed the bodice on, it all came together. The bodice had seemed small before hand, but it stretched nicely and it all worked out!

Used 9/16” Slimline buttons in Beige. I need to get another dress/slip to wear underneath it, but this beige sundress would work in a pinch. I might get good fancy pictures of this later this year.

viewed 1117 times | helped 3 people
Finished
February 7, 2014
February 24, 2014
 
About this pattern
129 projects, in 478 queues
nodice's overall rating
nodice's clarity rating
nodice's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Rowan
DK
70% Cotton, 30% Milk
124 yards / 50 grams

1134 projects

stashed 1209 times

nodice's star rating
  • Originally queued: May 2, 2008
  • Project created: February 5, 2014
  • Updated: February 26, 2014
  • Progress updates: 9 updates