tannastanley's projects
Mixed Stitch Stripey Blanket: Bohemian Rhapsody
Finished
January 4, 2014
February 1, 2014
Project info
Mixed Stitch Stripey Blanket: Bohemian Rhapsody
Mixed Stitch Stripey Blanket by Julie Harrison
Crochet
the love of it!
47 x 64 inches
Hooks & yarn
5.0 mm (H)
6.5 mm (K)
madelinetosh Tosh DK
Brown
Rose Path Weaving in Tyler, Texas
madelinetosh Tosh DK
Green
madelinetosh Tosh DK
Blue-green
madelinetosh Tosh DK
Pink
madelinetosh Tosh DK
3.75 skeins = 843.8 yards (771.5 meters)
madelinetosh Tosh DK
madelinetosh Tosh DK
Yellow
madelinetosh Tosh DK
madelinetosh Tosh DK
madelinetosh Tosh DK
madelinetosh Tosh DK
madelinetosh Tosh DK
1.5 skeins = 337.5 yards (308.6 meters)
madelinetosh Tosh DK
Notes

oh, this happy adventure…

1/22/14 It continues to grow… It is like painting with yarn. I just cannot capture how beautiful the colors of the Madelinetosh are.

2/5/14 This is one of the most fun projects I have ever done. (We’ve had nothing but cold, gray days… the colors are so short of what they look like in person). That said, here are some notes to self:

  • I cast on (or chained or whatever you call it) with a larger hook, KNOWING I tend to do things tightly when I
    learn. (size K)

  • Counting stitches is important to
    having a somewhat straight side
    edge. Know that your count number
    will increase in the middle of the
    chevron stitch until you are on the last row… that’s just how that
    stitch is formed.

  • MORE important, is trying to keep a relaxed tension in the chain part of the Catherine’s Wheel stitch and in the single crochet rows!! I got
    much better as I went along, but
    still have room for improvement.

  • Blocking works wonders. I’ll have to admit to being a bit sick at my
    stomach as I saw my edge when I
    finished the rows… I resorted to
    using the wires (18g stainless
    steel… you could probably get in any hardware store) I use to block my lace knits.

  • I’ll admit… wet blocking this
    beast was like wrestling a bear… I might try steam on another. ;)

  • For my edge, I knew the side I
    picked up (or whatever you call it)
    would be less pleasing to me than one might hope, so I decided to work it on the backside of the casing
    with the ends facing the front on the first row, which I did in hdc.

  • I decided to do the border all the
    way around instead of just on the
    sides since my project was an
    afghan, not a blanket. I started
    with the hdc instead of the dc to
    make the front overlap the back as I folded it forward to encase the ends.

  • I was bored out of my mind doing the edging, so added the bobbles! One
    of my favorite things about this
    creation!

  • Increases on the corners of the
    border: three stitches in the corner
    on the hdc and next two dc rows.

  • Decreases in the corners of the next
    three dc rows (front of casing) 3:1
    each corner.

  • To sew the border down, I pinned
    each side before sewing with stitch markers. I’m sure I would have
    gotten off if I had not. I loved
    sewing the edge down… same kind of
    pleasure in seeing an invisible hem in French hand sewing or the perfect
    approximation of an incision in
    surgery… sigh… it is the simple
    pleasures!! ;)

    In the end, my sides are still a bit whomper-jawed. A good part due to my lack of skill with crochet… much like when I started picking up stitches for plackets in knitting and ended up with too many. I would hope to improve on that if I do this again. But, it looks good folded or draped and wraps like a dream. So, for a first real crochet project, I am happy.

viewed 7050 times | helped 21 people
Finished
January 4, 2014
February 1, 2014
 
About this pattern
407 projects, in 1354 queues
tannastanley's overall rating
tannastanley's clarity rating
tannastanley's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by madelinetosh
DK
100% Merino
225 yards

57148 projects

stashed 45910 times

tannastanley's star rating
  • Project created: January 10, 2014
  • Finished: February 5, 2014
  • Updated: August 29, 2015
  • Progress updates: 3 updates