moby
Finished
September 2, 2013
October 21, 2013

moby

Project info
Ambergris by Ann Weaver
Knitting
myself!
combo of: 42, 50, 34
Needles & yarn
US 8 - 5.0 mm
1,400 yards = 7 skeins
madelinetosh Tosh Vintage
200 yards in stash
6 skeins = 1200.0 yards (1097.3 meters), 660 grams
Gray
Fiber Gallery in Seattle, Washington
December 31, 2011
madelinetosh Tosh Vintage
200 yards in stash
1 skein = 200.0 yards (182.9 meters)
Gray
woollymom destash
September 3, 2013
Notes

N took the FO photo while we were on vacation.

22 oct: done! machine washed and dried. Hope to get real photos later this week. Despite bringing in the shoulders a ton, it could still be a little more narrow for me up there. It’s hard to adjust for my large upper arms and narrow shoulders. I was working the XS size shoulder and L size arms!

16 oct: on the sleeve cap! I knit the sleeves to 20” before starting the cap.

11 oct: sleeves are up to my elbow or so. I think I’m done with the increases now and will work even to the sleeve cap.

4 oct 2013: sleeves are about 8” long, I want to make the sleeves a little longer than specified. I need to work increases a little closer together.

2 oct 2013: ok, ripped sleeves back to nothing and restarted at 48st (smallest size due to gauge differences).

28 sep 2013: my gauge is off. I started out with 48st cuffs, but had to rip out and go down to 38st cuffs.

27 sep 2013: not only are the armscyes too deep, the shoulders are STILL too wide for me. I think I am going to have to reknit the entire front/back from the armscye up. Instead of messing with that today, I’m starting the sleeves, following the 34 size.

27 sep 2013: ugh! finished the fronts and 3NB the shoulders, tried it on… the armholes are too long. I knit them to 9” and that’s just way too long on me. I think I need about 7.5”. Also the shape of the armscye is really odd. I think I am going to redo the last 4 inches or so on front and back.

24 sep 2013: fronts are about halfway… going to have to do some math for the shoulder shaping.

23 sep 2013: last night finished the back. Tonight the front and then I’ll start the sleeves. I think I am going to knit the sleeves flat. I also really want a long cuff, so endless ribbing forthcoming.

9 sep 2013: somehow missed two rows (I blame Breaking Bad) and had to rip back 4” to fix. I think I’m still at about 12” :)

8 sep 2013: 12” into the body, three cable repeats, so they are 8”/3 per repeat at my gauge. Pattern says I should start bust increases now-- instead I worked one more additional waist decreases (I’ve done 3; pattern suggests 1). I’m going to work increases in 8 more rows. I’m also going to leave the back even and only work increases on the front.

6 sep 2013: just finished the second cable repeat. Going to start waist decreases. I will likely work twice as many decreases and I am moving them in from the side of the sweater to the first marker. The decreases on the back I’ll probably keep intact since I need to decrease to the 34 above the bust so it fits my narrow shoulders.

5 sep 2013: alternating two hanks of yarn now. On row 10 of cables.

4 sep 2013: I’m a few rows into the cables. I’m about 3/4 of the way through the first hank of yarn -- I’m going to alternate between skeins for a few rows as I was happy with that when I did it in the past. So far loving this. Need to dig up a better cable needle (or a short dpn).

3 sep 2013: Finally got moving on this yesterday after a stop at Serial Knitters to pick up a new US8 needle. Vintage knits up so quickly.

2 sep 2013: I’ve started and ripped this three times already, then broke two needles. Oops. Going to try a fourth time.

plan/mods: My gauge is 16sp4i, so knitting the 42 at the hem to get something close to 50. Using lengths of the 50. Need to dec to 34 above the bust. Lowering the neckline to about an inch above the beginning of the armscye -- I’ll figure that out based on when the center motif ends most cleanly.

I centered the front by adding an extra stitch to the edge so both sides are the same. I’m not sure why it wasn’t centered but it bothered me so I changed it. So casting on the body, I CO 18 st, pm, 24, pm, 31, pm, 24, pm, 18, p side marker… etc. I adjusted as needed for the ribbing pattern.

queue: changing this to a scoop neck.

viewed 250 times | helped 1 person
Finished
September 2, 2013
October 21, 2013
About this pattern
49 projects, in 291 queues
xantha's overall rating
xantha's clarity rating
xantha's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by madelinetosh
Worsted
100% Merino
200 yards

45463 projects

stashed 36131 times

xantha's star rating
  • Originally queued: January 16, 2013
  • Project created: September 2, 2013
  • Finished: October 27, 2013
  • Updated: April 15, 2015
  • Progress updates: 9 updates