Careen: Hat & Headband
A lovely hat for the depths of winter and a cosy headband for autumn. The wool/silk mix is soft and warm, perfectly non-itchy. They are unisex styles, sized for women & men.
This is an easy first project to work in the round. However, you can choose to work:
EITHER flat & seamed
OR seamlessly in the round
The pattern includes charts AND written instructions.
Like accessories in matching sets? See Careen ebook for the mini collection.
To fit measured around head:
Hat & headband sizes the same. Headband is 11cm/4 1/2” wide.
- Fyberspates Aran Scrumptious 45% silk 55% merino, 165m/180yds per 100g skein, 1 skein.
- Hat - Womens: 60g 100m/110yds. Mens: 70g 115m/126yds.
- Headband - Womens: 40g 65m/70yds. Mens: 46g 76m/83yds.
- tapestry needle
- stitch markers Worked flat:
- 4.5mm/US 7 & 5mm/US 8 needles Worked in the round:
- 4.5mm/US 7 & 5mm/US 8 needles for your preferred method of working in the round EITHER sets of double-pointed needles OR circular needles with 80cm/32” cable for working magic loop method OR two sets each size circular needles with 60cm/24” cables
Note: you can make womens mitts & matching headband from one skein of yarn, making a lovely gift set or two small presents. For those who like whole sets, add one more skein for the snug Careen cowl too.
18.5 sts & 24rows to 10cm/4” square over stocking stitch with 5mm/US 8 needles or size required to achieve tension.
Thank you to Mel, Lesley, Denise & Freddie.
Photography at Chiswick Park, in 2-Way Mirror Labyrinth by Jeppe Hein.