Careen: Mitts & Mittens
Warm cosy mittens with a stylish cuff detail, making them interesting but quick to knit. The lustrous wool/silk mix is superwarm and shows off the graphic design perfectly. These are lovely winter gifts.
Alternatively, make the fingerless mitts version, finished with moss (seed) stitch. They’re perfect for when you need fingers free for photos, phones or prams - and for when you need a really quick gift knit.
Pattern instructions given for:
working flat & seamed
seamlessly in the round.
Prefer accessories in matching sets? See Careen ebook for the mini collection.
To fit sizes measured around hand
1: Womens 18cm/7” - 21cm/8 1/4”
2: Mens 21cm/8 1/4”- 24cm/9 1/2”
Option to increase cuff length (allow extra yarn).
- Fyberspates Aran Scrumptious 45% silk 55% merino, 165m/180yds per 100g skein, 1 skein.
- Mittens - Womens: 70g 115m/126yds. Mens: 85g 140m/155yds.
- Mitts - Womens: 60g 100m/110yds. Mens: 70g 115m/126yds.
- stitch markers
- tapestry needle Worked flat:
- 4.5mm/US 7 & 5mm/US 8 needles Worked in the round:
- small amount of waste yarn
- 4.5mm/US 7 & 5mm/US 8 needles for your preferred method of working in the round: EITHER sets of double-pointed needles OR sets circular needles with 80cm/32” cables for magic loop method OR two sets each size circular needles with 60cm/24” cables to work on two circular needles.
Note: you can make womens mitts & matching headband from one skein of yarn, making a lovely gift set or two small presents. For those who like whole sets, add one more skein for the Careen snug cowl too.
18.5 sts & 24rows to 10cm/4” square over stocking stitch with 5mm/US 8 needles or size required to achieve tension.
Thank you to Denise, Mel, Kate, Susan, Lesley, Charlotte, Margaret & N-J.
Photography at Chiswick Park, in 2-Way Mirror Labyrinth by Jeppe Hein.