This pattern is currently on hiatus while it under-goes a re-format. If you have questions please let me know! Many thanks :)
Every year when the weather turns cool, it seems like a knitter can never have too many cardigans. The Edgewater cardigan is a warm and cozy addition to your wardrobe, featuring simple rippling cables down the length of the back, and a pair of front pockets add both style and convenience. This sweater is worked from the bottom up, and body and sleeves are joined at the under-arms for raglan yoke shaping. The collar may be worked as a simple ribbed collar and button-band, or with a modest shawl collar at the neck (as shown in sample). Enjoy this cardigan for the fall and winter months ahead!
This is an ideal choice for a cozy yarn like Manos Maxima or Malabrigo worsted, but would be wonderful with many plied worsted or Aran wool yarns as well.
Technical editing has been provided by Jaya Purswani. Photography by Melissa Jaarsma.
• Manos Maxima, 100% fine merino wool, kettle dyed 200m/219yds per 100g skein, 7(7, 8, 8, 9, 9, 10) skeins, OR a similar wool yarn which knits well at given stockinette gauge. Maxima is a single-spun worsted wool and is quite soft. Malabrigo Worsted would be an ideal substitute.
• 4.0mm needles (OR one size smaller than size required to obtain pattern gauge), DPNs or 32-40” long circular for magic loop (for sleeve cuffs), and 24 or 32” length circular for working the body and buttonband (flat)
• 4.5mm needles (OR size required to obtain pattern gauge), DPNs or 32-40” long circular for magic loop (for sleeve cuffs), and 24 or 32” length circular for working the body
• stitch markers
• cable needle (unless working cabling-without-a-cable-needle technique)
• waste yarn, or stitch holders
• tapestry needle
• 6 buttons, 1” in diameter
S(M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL, 4XL)
• Finished bust size: 37(40, 43, 46, 49, 52, 55) ins/94(101.5, 109, 117, 124.5, 132, 139.5)cm in bust circumference of completed garment, worn closed.
Between 2-4 ins/5-10cm of positive ease is recommended for a comfortable fit.
• 18 sts/28 rows over 4 ins/10 cm in stockinette stitch on 4.5mm/US 7 needles
For best results, knit and wash a gauge swatch before beginning.
• Working knit and purl
• Working increases and decreases purlwise
• Working basic cable twists
• Picking up stitches (for buttonband/collar)
• Working short rows (for shawl collar)