Felted Duck Slippers
Note that your washing machine may require frequent interruptions to prevent over-felting. I just made another pair, and used a different washing machine for the felting. After 12 minutes, the slippers had shrank 25% (4 inches). My goal was 30% (5 inches), so I put them in for another 5 minutes. When I came back, they had shrank another 2 inches -- a total of 37%. Yikes! Fortunately I was able to stretch them out.
Errata (note that these errors have been corrected in the current pdf)
On page 3 in Foot Sizing
- where it says “row” it should say “round.”
- for size 10-11”, insert 7 rounds before decreases, not 6 (sorry -- I miscounted!)
Links: If the hyperlinks in your PDF are not working, please see the last page of the pattern for the direct URLs.
Photos at left show:
- ripping out the cotton yarn at the leg opening, after felting
- casting on the cuff sts (pull 1 loop, YO)*
- all cuff sts cast on
- front view of cuff mitered decrease (the pattern will look slightly different -- I added an extra st here between purl decreases)
- side view of cuff, showing purl decrease and invisible bindoff
Blog: Check out http://curiousknitter.com to see the history and development of these slippers.