Fountain of Diamonds
A fountain of diamonds will cascade down your shoulders when you wear this shawl. The design details are chosen to work well with variegated laceweight yarn. The final shape of this shawl is between three-quarters of a square and half of a hexagon which gives a flat bottom edge and plenty to wrap around your shoulders.
• 900 yds/825m Laceweight. Sample shown in Fiber Lady Chiku, 100% bamboo; 4 oz, 1000 yds, in After Dinner Mints
• US sz 3/3.25mm, or size needed to obtain gauge, circular needle
• 754 sz 8/0 beads
• US sz 14/.75mm crochet hook for adding beads
• 12 stitch markers
• yarn needle for weaving in ends
23 sts and 35 rows per 4”/10cm in stockinette
Gauge is not overly important. Choose a needle and yarn combination that you like. Realize that changing the yarn and/or needles will affect the size of the final shawl and the yardage needed.
22”/56cm from neck to bottom edge - This can be easily adjusted by working more repeats of the body instructions.
• Written and charted instructions are provided. Written instructions start on page 2 and charted instructions on page 7.
• All beads are placed individually using the crochet hook method. First, spear the bead with the crochet hook. Second, transfer the stitch to be beaded from the needle to the hook. Third, slide the bead down over the hook and onto the stitch. Last, transfer the stitch back to the needle and knit or purl as normal.
• The edges are knit in garter stitch. To keep the edges from being too tight, you can wrap the yarn around the needle twice for the first st of each row and then drop the extra loop on the next row.