Also available on Knit Picks’ website for the hat pattern only:
When the frosty wind blows, you need serious winter accessories, and you need them now! With a hat or a pair of mittens (or both!) from this pattern set, you’ll be covered. Not only is this set worked in cozy and quick bulky yarn, but the hint of colour-work adds a second layer of warmth! This means you’ll be warm and toasty and stand out in the crowd. Choose a plain cap or variation with earflaps, for the hat.
This pattern uses a basic two-colour pattern over stranded colour-work. It is simple enough for knitters new to colour-work to practice with, and experienced knitters will find the hat or mitts a quick knit accomplished in a weekend or less.
A few bulky weight yarns are suggested, if substituting for Mirasol Kutama.
SIZING: Cap and Earflap Hat
• Measures 18(19.5, 21) ins around.
Ideal fit is 1 inch smaller circumference than own head circumference.
• To fit hand 6.75-7.25(7.5-8.0) ins in circumference.
16 sts/16 rows in colour-work pattern on 6.0mm needles.
16 sts/20 rows in stockinette stitch on 5.0mm needles.
• Mirasol Kutama 50% Alpaca/ 50% Highland Wool, 62m/67yds per 50g skein
Cap: 1(1, 2) skeins Main Colour, 1(1, 1) skein Contrast Colour
Earflap Hat: 2(2, 2) skeins Main Colour, 1(1, 1) skein Contrast Colour
Mittens: 2(2) skeins Main Colour, 2(2) skeins Contrast Colour
OR, if substituting yarns, use a bulky wool or wool/alpaca blend which works well at pattern gauge.
• 5.0mm needles, set of 4 double-pointed needles
• 5.0mm needles, 16-inch circular (OR, only DPNs, if desired)
• 6.0mm needles, set of 4 double-pointed needles OR 16-inch circular needle
• 5.0mm crochet hook (earflap only)
• 5.0mm needles, set of 4 double-pointed needles (OR long 32-40 ins circular nedle, for magic loop method)
• 6.0mm needles, set of 4 double-pointed needles (OR long 32-40 ins circular needle, for magic loop method)
• Stitch markers
• Waste yarn in similar weight to pattern yarn
• Tapestry needle
• Working knit and purl
• Working in the round
• Working stranded colour-work with two colours
• Picking up sts (for mitten thumb)
• Working decreases and increases
• Working from a charted pattern
• Working a single-chain of crochet (for the earflap hat edging only)