• Blue Moon Fiber Arts’ Socks That Rock ® Lightweight, colour KawKaw, 100% merino superwash sock yarn (on the cover you see the prototypes with different toes), OR any suitable sock yarn (Wollmeise Twin Sockenwolle in 80% merino / 20% polyamide works great as well)
women’s small US size 6½ European shoe size 37
women’s medium US 8 European 38/39
women’s large US 9 European 40
MEN’s US 11 European 43
Foot length: 9¼ (10, 10½, 11)” or 24 (25, 27, 28) cm
Foot circumference: 8 (8, 8¼, 8¼)” or 20 (20, 20.5, 21)cm
• Work the socks toe-up on (1 or 2) circular needle(s), starting with Judy’s Magic Cast On and ending with Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bindoff. The pattern is written for the Magic Loop method, but use dpn’s if you like.
• The toe, the side of the foot, the gussets, and leg are ribbed. The foot sole is mostly in stockinette stitch.
• Accurate row gauge is important.
• The socks feature ‘gusset and flap’ heels: work the gusset increases on either side of the central upper foot ‘spine’, turn the heel with short rows, then decrease the gusset stitches away as you work the heel flap.
• The sizes differ in the foot length; the gussets are the same for all sizes.
• For a cleaner line of ktbl’s, give the yarn a little tug after each ktbl.