May Mystery Sock Pattern for Sock Knitters Anonymous, now available again as a download.
• The socks are worked toe-up on (1 or 2) circular needle(s), starting with Judy’s Magic Cast On. (http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATmagiccaston.html) Use dpn’s if you like.
• The toe is in stockinette stitch, the side of the foot, the gussets, and leg are patterned.
• The socks feature ‘gusset and flap’ heels: gusset increases are worked on upper foot, the heel is turned with short rows, then the gusset stitches are decreased away as the heel flap is worked.
• Short-row turns for heel turn are concealed by wrapping a stitch at each turn. On transition row, work each wrap with the stitch it wraps, as follows: To knit a stitch with its wrap on the left side of the heel turn, insert right needle under front of wrap and into knit stitch, and knit together. To knit a stitch with its wrap on the right side of the heel turn, insert right needle under front of wrap and into knit stitch, and knit together through the back loops.
• Slip all stitches as if to purl with yarn held to inside of sock, unless instructed otherwise.
•The sizes differ in the number of gusset increases: 2 x 14 for small, 2 x 16 for medium, and 2 x 18 for large.
• All twisted stitches are knit through the back loop, unless otherwise indicated in the chart.