Onefellswoop Fingerless Flexmitts
These stretchy, 100% ‘Bosnian’ (slip stitch) mitts hug the hands like those “Isotoners” my Mom used to wear. The snug fit is due partly to the slip stitch fabric and partly to the elastic content of the sock yarn.
They’re called “OneFellSwoop” because everything is worked as you go: The last slip stitch row is also the seam. The only stitches used are chain stitches and slip stitches. No edging is necessary.
When older kids try these on they say, “Hey, cool! I like how these feel.” And then they get back to texting and don’t want to take them off.
After using this pattern you will know (if you didn’t already):
- How to create a fashion fabric with slip stitches
- An easy way to create super-stretchy crochet
- How your own natural gauge (“the crocheter’s hand”) compares to standard gauges
- How to “crochet with spaghetti”—that’s how it might feel to use a big crochet hook with this super-stretchy yarn!
Note About the Skill Level: If I used the standard industry guidelines to list the Skill Level, this pattern would be rated Easy, even Advanced Beginner, because it uses a beginner’s stitch (slip stitch) and there’s zero shaping. Also, the pattern uses no abbreviations. After teaching it to others, I’ve learned that for this pattern the crocheter needs to be ready to have more control over his/her natural stitch gauge. I consider this an intermediate skill that leads to advanced crocheting, although it’s not listed in any of the standard skill level descriptions. Every crocheter’s fine motor coordination is different, so you might find this pattern to be Easy.
For more adventurous crocheters, this is a “design-your-own” easy-to-customize pattern: change the size of the thumb hole; how much they cover the wrist and arm; how snug they are; even change how much of the fingers are covered. (All of these options are provided in the pattern for those who wish to try them.)
- Unstretched: 2.75 inches/7 cm across and 8 inches/20.5 cm long.
- Stretches as wide as approximately 7.5 inches/19 cm and as long as approximately 14 inches/35.5 cm.
- With cuff folded at wrist (as shown): approximately 6.5 inches/16.5 cm long