Pinwheel Mushroom Tam
Size: Newborn (Baby, Child, Adult)
• Band, stretched/relaxed: 14.5/11.75 (14.5/11.75, 22/14.75, 22/14.75)”
• Diameter Across Top: 8.25 (9.75, 10.25, 12.25)”
• Main Color: 1 (1, 1, 2) skeins (132 yards/50 grams), Colinette Cadenza, (100% Merino)
• Contrast Color: 1 (1, 1, 1) skein (132 yards/50 grams), Colinette Cadenza, (100% Merino)
Colors of Samples:
Red, shown in Adult size
• MC - Morello Mash
• CC - Wasabi Squeeze,
Blue, shown in Child size
• MC - Lapis
• CC - Vincent’s Apron
• size US 2 (2.75 mm) 16” circular needles
• size US 4 (3.5 mm) 16” circular needles, or size needed for gauge
• size US 4 (3.5 mm) double pointed needles
Extras: 6 stitch markers, tapestry needle for weaving in ends
• 28 sts and 24 rounds over 4” in pattern on larger needles
• 22 sts and 36 rows over 4” in stockinette on larger needles
The two larger hats will fit a wide range of sizes. Size difference is determined by the amount of fullness in the tam, as well as the depth of the hat, so a child and adult could wear the same Child size, but with differing amounts of fullness.
The photos on the cover show the Adult size (red and green) and the Child size (blue and yellow) on the same model.
The Newborn and Baby sizes have the same relationship between them as the Child and Adult. Both hats will fit a baby, but with differing amounts of fullness. The Newborn size is shown here on a model who is three months old.
The last two pages of this pattern show some techniques. There is also a video on my website, www.doviejayknits.com, showing how to work both strands at once and demonstrating the increases.