This breezy corner-start triangular wrap, worked side to side, is an uncommon way to experience Tunisian crochet. Some people seem to think of Tunisian crochet as dense or stiff, but this airy net-like stitch has been around long enough to be known by more than one name: Tunisian Corded Stitch, Tunisian Extended Stitch, and Tunisian Single Crochet. It creates such a pretty fabric that I developed a new crochet-as-you-go latticework border for it.
It’s also a no-stress way to use up stash yarns because the edging is worked as you go, and you begin the decrease rows when you’ve used half of your yarn. Less yarn than the pattern calls for results in a scarf instead of a wrap.
For me, it is addictive to stitch and is not difficult because the rhythm of the stitch pattern is easy to settle into and remember.
Skill Level: Intermediate because of new stitches and construction technique. After using this pattern you will know (if you didn’t already):
* How to do the net-like Tunisian Extended Stitch (a.k.a. “Tunisian Single Crochet Knitwise,” or “Tunisian Corded Stitch”)
* How to do symmetrical-looking Tunisian increases and decreases with equal stretch and drape
* How to create one of many kinds of triangular shapes in Tunisian crochet
* A new, elegant border that can be worked as you go
* How to adapt this design to any yarn you have on hand, and predict final dimensions
Pictured Wrap is 100 inches/254 cm at widest point and 24 inches/61 cm at deepest point, including the 1-inch/2.5 cm border. Your dimensions may vary depending on amount of yarn used and desired size; pattern is the same for virtually any amount of yarn.
* Tunisian Crochet Hook: size K/11/6.5mm, 14 inches/36 cm long.
* Yarn used for pictured project: Schoeller+Stahl Batika (100% microfiber acrylic; 142yds/130m per 1.75oz/50g): color #0102, 4 full skeins. Substituting other yarns: Approximately 600 yds/550m of a sport weight or DK weight yarn (category #2 Fine or #3 Light Weight).
* Stitch markers, optional but recommended, at least for the first few rows.