WendyKnits Summer Mystery Shawl 2013 KAL
Welcome to the WendyKnits Mystery Shawl KAL 2013! The KAL began on June 1, 2013.
If you purchase the pattern before June 1, you will received a set of preliminary instructions with yarn suggestions, size information, and a pattern for a gauge swatch to knit. On June 1 the pattern will be updated to include Part One of the actual pattern. The pattern is divided into 4 parts, which will be released on Saturdays in June: June 1, 8, 15, and 22.
The shawl is a triangle shape and is worked from the bottom up. It is available in three different sizes, with information on re-sizing further. The knitting instructions are both charted and written out.
A sample shawl was knit in each size, each one using a very different yarn.
• Small – approximately 420 yards of yarn will result in a shawl approximately 59” across the top edge and 25” down the center back, blocked.
• Medium – approximately 600 yards of yarn will result in a shawl approximately 68” across the top edge and 33” down the center back, blocked.
• Large – approximately 800 yards of yarn will result in a shawl approximately 80” across the top edge and 40” down the center back, blocked.
You can use laceweight, heavy laceweight, light fingering, or fingering weight yarn to knit the shawl, in the amount shown above for the size you have chosen to knit. The samples that were blocked to the sizes listed above were knit with the following yarns
• Small – knit with Shalimar Breathless
• Medium – knit with Kauni Effektgarn 8/2
• Large – knit with The Gossamer Web Gryffin
The above yarns are examples of the different types of yarn you can use. You can of course use a different yarn. You will want to use a solid or semi-solid yarn for this shawl, or perhaps a self-striping yarn like Kauni Effektgarn. Too much variegation will obscure the lace pattern. Use any yarn you please, but be sure to check your gauge – if it is considerably smaller than the stated gauge for this pattern you will want to size the shawl up.
There will be discussion threads in the WendyKnits group on Ravelry for this KAL, Please feel free to join!