Crafty-Effie's projects
Wedding dress
June 22 2015
October 4 2016
Project info
Wedding dress
Cecilia by Lene Holme Samsøe
me :)
Needles & yarn
US 4 - 3.5 mm
US 6 - 4.0 mm
3,116 yards = 12.84 skeins
Baby Alpaca Lace
528 yards in stash
7.36 skeins = 1472.2 yards (1346.1 meters), 184 grams
Pompon Laine Café in Trois-Rivieres, Quebec
Cascade Yarns ® Kid Seta (New Version)
1056 yards in stash
5.48 skeins = 1644.0 yards (1503.3 meters), 137 grams
WEBS - America's Yarn Store in Northampton, Massachusetts
March 9, 2015

This project is a seamless dress worked top down and in the round using a fitted “Cecilia” for the top and a “May Dress” for the skirt. I’m working the entire dress holding a strand of Baby alpaca and a strand of Kid seta together.

Starting this pattern has been a little challenging - it might just be me, but I find it very confusing to follow long, written instructions, I feel like this pattern should be charted. I’ve frogged and started over twice already :(

I replaced the “sl1, k2tog, psso” of rows 7 to 15 by “sl2tog, k1, psso” to get a central decrease stitch.

I reached row 55 and separated the sleeves following loosely the same technique as gracewang in her Cecilia. I will not be working the last rows of the pattern as I want to continue the diamond lace pattern all the way to the waist.

After the sleeves were separated from the body, I was left with 216 stitches on the needle, which equals 36 pattern repeats of the modified diamond lace pattern.

The body was knit continuously using the diamond lace pattern for about 8 inches; downsizing the needle to 3.5mm then to 2.5mm.

Once I reached the waistline, I worked a decrease row, removing 30 sts as evenly spaced as possible to reach 186 sts. Then, I worked the waistband (1¾“ of seed st) and proceeded to an increase row again for the skirt.

The lace pattern is worked over multiples of 8 sts, so I will increase 38 sts to reach a total of 224 (28 pattern repeats).

As previously stated, the pattern I’m using is based off the “May Dress” lace pattern, but has been adjusted to better suit my needs. Since it’s worked in the round instead of flat I had to transpose the instructions to all RS rows with no edge sts, and since it’s knitted top down instead of bottom up the lace pattern is presented upside down.

With 2.5mm needle, I worked 1 entire pattern repeat (rows 1-14) then worked rows 1-6 once more.

At that point I switched to 3.5mm needle, worked rows 7-14 once, then worked an entire pattern repeat.

Lastly, I switched to 4.5mm needle, and continued working in the lace pattern until I passed the bum.

I had to put this project on hold to finish my Christmas presents AND knit a sample for a new pattern I wrote, but I should get back to this it any time soon. I’m thinking of maybe making the skirt tea length and have it flare up a bit, fifties style. We’ll see!

I figured out a way to transition from the May dress lace pattern into a flare inspired from the Cecilia top. I started that today, it probably won’t be much longer before the body is done since I don’t have any other WIPs right now.

17” of the skirt done, 10 more to go. I’ll try to mimic the lace pattern of the cecilia top on the bottom for a more finished edge.

Wrote out a chart for the flare out of the skirt. I’ll increase from 8 sts per pattern repeat to 24 sts per pattern repeat for a grand total of 672 sts across.

Haven’t touched this in a while, AGAIN. I should really get to it pronto if I want to wear it for my October 9 wedding. Gulp!

Only 2 or 3 more inches to go, 32 days left!

The skirt is done, just have to make the sleeves now.

DONE!!!! Fiou! Done and washed, on the blocking mat. Only 5 days to spare, that was a close one.

viewed 942 times | helped 3 people
June 22 2015
October 4 2016
About this pattern
285 projects, in 415 queues
Crafty-Effie's overall rating
Crafty-Effie's clarity rating
Crafty-Effie's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Cascade Yarns ®
61% Mohair, 35% Silk, 4% Wool
300 yards / 25 grams

1207 projects

stashed 1801 times

Crafty-Effie's star rating
  • Project created: January 14, 2015
  • Finished: October 16, 2016
  • Updated: February 11, 2019
  • Progress updates: 13 updates