Aha … “slip knitwise” doesn’t mean “slip as if to knit”, it means “slip with yarn in back”.
I splurged and got the genuine leather buttons :) The fake ones were … well, fake-looking.
16 stitches per section was comically large -- apparently my gauge is off. Frogging back to do only 12. Wish I had checked it sooner … ah well.
Leaving off the i-cord edging around the entire bottom, since it’s all going to be covered by brims and ear flaps anyway. I’m also going to do the i-cord edgings on the brims at the very end because I’ve got some leftover featherweight boning from a sewing project that I think will be perfect, but I want everything else to be done before I work that into the edges.
I-cord ties are worked on #6 dpns, as long as one needle + one inch.
No i-cord on the edges of the brim … got one done and the edges were too tight. THEN, I realized, I don’t have to do i-cord! I can do crab stitch! So I did. Size H crochet hook. Very effective.
Still a smidge big. Tightening up at the brims by weaving in a piece of yarn and tying the ends. This yarn does NOT go by the ear flaps so there’s still stretch on the sides of the hat for a good fit.
It could use a bit of blocking for vertical fit.