I had to put this in hibernation for a while after I realized I wasn’t going to care for the style of the sleeves or hood, comfort-wise, and I’m not a fan of the way the seed stitch fans and ruffles. It’s lovely, and a beautiful pattern, just not my personal style! :) I’ve since officially decided to turn it into a vest, and I’ll be redoing the bottom edge in a ribbed border instead.
So here’s the whole run-down on my mods:
I had started with the intention of following the pattern, but the “ruffled” seed stitch border was not my style and I had my doubts about wearing it that way, but I carried on.
By the time I started the sleeves, I realized that I just wasn’t going to love the look of the finished sweater (on me! The pattern is completely lovely and perfect for other people! <3 ), so I put it aside and thought and thought for a hundred years.
Finally, I did the following to make it my own:
1) Cut off the bottom seed stitch trim, picked up and reinforced stitches from the cabled body, then knit a ribbed edge onto them.
2) I-cord bind off around arm holes.
3) Ribbed collar
4) Folded seed stitch button bands to inside and stitched flat
5) Picked up stitches along former button bands and applied an I-cord edging (continuing across top of ribbed collar)
6) Stitched front shut and applied decorative buttons