nami44's projects
British Seacoast

nami44 > notebook > projects > British Seacoast

Finished
May 12 2016
June 3 2016
Project info
British Seacoast
Seacoast by Joji Locatelli
Knitting
me, me, me!
36
Needles & yarn
US 6 - 4.0 mm
18 stitches and 24 rows = 4 inches
in St st
Blacker Yarns Lyonesse DK
119 yards in stash
8 skeins = 952.0 yards (870.5 meters), 400 grams
Natural/Undyed
Blacker Yarns
Notes

I customized the fit and I’ve got what I wanted, yey!
This was my first circular yoke pullover and it has turned out to be the best-fitting pullover I’ve ever made, I’ll knit others for sure!
The yarn is nice to work with: it has a discreet sheen, good stitch definition thanks to linen, but is not as hard as linen yarn.

To summarize (please note that my row gauge is completely off!)

  • Worked Yoke rib sections as indicated in pattern despite of the difference of row gauge, and even added 2 St st rnds before dividing body and sleeves (back yoke is only 18.5 cm/7.25” high though);
  • at the beginning of Section 3 of Yoke, pfb instead of m1l;
  • Worked short rows in rib pattern;
  • Worked sleeves first: CO 14 sts, dec every 9 rnds 7 times, shortened cuff (but kept total length);
  • Shortened body (39 cm/ 15.5”), so replaced waist shaping: began first dec at 5 cm / 2”, dec 5 total times every 6 rnds (=2.5 cm /1”). Worked 5 cm even before beginning inc (with the same intervals and 5 times in all).

June 3rd: I’m in the final stretch! Done!
Began 1st dec at 5 cm / 2” from underarm, dec 5 total times every 6 rnds (=2.5cm / 1”). 5 cm even. Increased 6 times every 6 rnds.

May 31st: body, shortened (39 cm), finished once, but frogged, because the waist shaping is not well placed for the shorter body. I’ll shape more the waist.

May 26: Used 57 g for one sleeve. I should have enough yarn :) (14 sts at underarm, dec every 9 rnds 7 times)

May 25: Knitted the body to waist. I realized it was the first time I made a circular yoke sweater: work sleeves first to see how it fits.

May 23: I was told that the yardage of Lyonesse DK could be shorter than declared on Blacker Yarns’ site. I used just 90 g for yoke (knitted a swatch=11g with the first one), but knitted barely 10 cm / 4” of body with one ball… Hope I have enough yarn!

May 21: I frogged entire section 3 to modify how k sts appear in p sts (pfb instead of m1l). I Worked with a looser tension this time and the yoke fits better. Continued ribbing while working short rows. Knitted 2 plain rnds before dividing. CO 14 sts at underarm.

May 17: I’ve followed the repeats despite of the row gauge difference and got the yoke height of the pattern. But it’s too tight for my squared large shoulders… I’ll work some rnds in St st before dividing Body and sleeves.

May 15: After 38 rnds, my yoke measures only 12.5 cm (5”), I tried it on me and of course, it was too short!
It seems that the yoke height is calculated with St st gauge, but you’d need more rnds with the Rib pattern… I’ll follow the instructions of my size…
7.5 cm/3” after Section 2 (20 rnds).

May 14: My row gauge is completely off: 24 rows instead of 30! So I calculated the number of rows to achieve the yoke height of 36” size = 36 rnds for front. I’ll basically follow the instructions for the smallest size!

May 12: I’ve fallen in love with this pattern at the moment I saw it - such a charming model!-, but somehow it took me long time to decide to cast it on - the time to find an ideal yarn.
I’ve chosen a British summer yarn and I’m happy to begin this project with it :)

viewed 1639 times | helped 11 people
Finished
May 12 2016
June 3 2016
 
About this pattern
nami44's star rating
nami44's difficulty rating
492 projects, in 1556 queues
About this yarn
by Blacker Yarns
DK
50% Corriedale, 50% Linen / Flax
119 yards / 50 grams
nami44's star rating

110 projects

stashed 109 times

  • Originally queued: April 24, 2014
  • Project created: May 13, 2016
  • Finished: June 8, 2016
  • Updated: November 28, 2016
  • Progress updates: 5 updates