#02 Cabled Bag
Pattern Description from Vogue Knitting, Holiday 2008: “Deborah Newton’s zippered bag, in Blue Sky Alpacas’ “Worsted Hand Dyes,” sports textured branch-cable front and back panels and a contrasting coin-cable gusset. Sling your arm through the I-cord straps, woven through with purchased chain links.”
“Cabled purse with chain wrapped handles shown on page 68.”
- Finished width (center of side panel on one side to center of side panel on other side) 16”/40.5cm
- Height (top seam to center of bottom panel) 9”/23cm
- 5 3½oz/100g hanks (each approx 100yd/91m) of Blue Sky Alpacas’ Worsted Hand Dyes (alpaca/merino wool) in #2003 ecru
- One pair size 9 (5.5mm) needles OR SIZE TO OBTAIN GAUGE
- Two size 9 (5.5mm) double pointed needles
- One needle size 3 (3.25mm) of smaller, and one needle size 10.5 (6.5mm) for edgings on zipper bands.
- Cable needle, 14”/35cm metal zipper, two 24”/60cm chains, straight pins, sewing thread and sewing needle
Note: Side/bottom panel of bag is worked first in one strip. Front and back of bag are picked up and knit from the strip.
Gauge correction based on response from VK.
Pages: 68 & 100.