1:12th scale Autumn set c.1933
To fit a 14 cm/5½-inch tall lady doll
Ability Level: Intermediate
One pair size 19 UK/1.00 mm/US 00000 knitting needles. PLUS
Jumper: 25 metres each of three colours 1-ply yarn; 2 stitch holders or safety pins.
Belt – 7 metres 1-ply yarn, small jump ring or buckle
Skirt – 40 metres 1-ply yarn
Approximate finished sizes
Jumper – 5 cm/2-inches back neck to hem; 3 cm/1¼-inches across chestsleeve length 4.5 cm/1¾-inches.
Skirt – 5.5 cm/2⅛-inches waist to hem; 2.5 cm/1-inch across waist; 4 cm/1¾-inches across hem (with pleats closed)
Tension/gauge: this is not important as dolls vary greatly in size, check sizing given above and use as a guide.
Historical Fashion Notes
- Geometric patterns were very fashionable in the early to mid 1930’s. They were found on all manner of items including Ladies fashion.
- Colours were more muted on Ladies fashion than they were on china and furniture. The tubular look had persisted from the 1920’s, so there is very little shaping found in this jumper.
- Originally in this type of garment the sleeves would have been very narrow (and often ribbed to above the elbow), and the armholes were very tight. As it is not as easy to dress a miniature doll with very tight sleeves and armholes, the armholes and sleeves in this pattern have been designed to be slightly roomier than the original would have been.
- Belts were often worn over a jumper, or incorporated into the design of the jumper. Cuffs were always long and turned up.
- Skirt pleats were very deep at this time, reaching well up the thigh.
BEFORE PURCHASING PATTERNS PLEASE NOTE:
Cancellation of digital goods Under the UK provisions of Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 the following conditions will apply: By clicking the download button(s) on the Ravelry download page you expressly request that the digital content is immediately available for download (this may be within the 14 days statutory cancellation period) and you agree to waive your right to cancel and refund once the download(s) has started.
Full terms and conditions can be found here.
Copyright Notice All rights reserved. All patterns are for private use only and may not be reproduced in any form, or reproduced for commercial gain including selling any item knitted up from these patterns without written permission from Buttercup Miniatures. Reproducing or transmitting these patterns by any means for any purpose other than for personal use constitutes a violation of UK copyright law.