#17 Colorwork Hat
Pattern Description from Vogue Knitting, Fall 2009: “Bicolored pompoms punctuate the earflaps and point of Nicholas’s Fair Isle patterned stocking cap with embroidered details. It’s knit from the garter-stitch band up (the flaps are done separately) with ‘Julia’ from Nashua Handknits/Westminster Fibers*.
*Julia has been discontinued and replaced by CEY Color by Kristin.
“Peruvian inspired Ch’ulla/Chullo. Sized for adults.”
- Circumference 20”/51cm
- Length (from tip without pom pom to brim) 12”/30.5cm
- 1 1¾oz/50g skein each (each approx 93yd/85m) Nashua Handknits/Westminster Fibers, Inc., Julia (wool/alpaca/mohair) in #6085 geranium (A), #2163 golden honey (B), #3961 lady’s mantle (C), #3158 purple basil (D), #121 persimmon (E), #8141 pretty pink (F), #6086 velvet moss (G)
- One each size 5 and 7 (3.75mm and 4.5mm) circular needles, 16”/40cm long
- One set (5) size 7 (4.5mm) double-pointed needles (dpns) in size 7 or size to obtain gauge
- Tapestry needle and stitch markers
New yarn Colors:
* 1 1 3/4oz/50g skein each (each approx 93yd/85m) of Classic Elite Yarns Color by Kristin (wool/alpaca/mohair) in #3258 geranium (A), #3243 yarrow (B), #3281 lichen (C), #3228 aubergine (D), #3285 pumpkin (E), #3289 Julia’s pink (F), and #3212 deep forest (G) YARN WT = 4
20 sts and 22 rnds = 4”/10cm over chart patterns, using larger needles.
TAKE TIME TO CHECK THE GAUGE.
Note: When working in two-color rounds, take care to carry the yarn not in use loosely behind work.