#18 The Bubble
Pattern Description from Vogue Knitting, Fall 2007: “Poufed silhouettes, epitomized by Marc Jacobs’s bubble sweater for Perry Ellis, were all the rage in the ’80s. Updated here in a two colorway combo of Classic Elite Yarns’ ‘La Gran’ mohair, the ultra-oversized look still has legs. The pillowy tunic-length pullover, knit circularly in sections, is ribbed at the yoke, bottom bands and inset pockets.”
“Very oversized, balloon pullover with angled pockets, ribbed yoke and high neck by Marc Jacobs for Perry Ellis.”
- Length 30”/76.5cm
- Width of lower edge rib 36”/91.5cm
- Width from sleeve cuff to sleeve cuff 73”/185.5cm
- 1989 Color 26 1½oz/42g balls (each approx 90yd/82m) of Classic Elite Yarns La Gran (mohair/wool/nylon) in #3594 purple variegated
- 2007 Colors 13 1½oz/42g balls (each approx 90yd/82m) of Classic Elite Yarns La Gran (mohair/wool/nylon) each in #6509 winged teal and #6575 pebble
- Sizes 10 and 11 (6 and 8mm) circular needles 16”/40cm and 29”/80cm lengths or size to obtain gauge
- Stitch markers and stitch holders
Additional Gauge: 13 sts = 4”/10cm over twisted rib with 2 strands held tog, using larger needle. Take time to check gauges.
- Body and sleeves are each knit in the round to underarm, then joined at yoke.
- Work with 1 strand of each yarn held tog throughout.
In Vogue Knitting, Fall 1989 this pattern is #34