#22 Felted Bag
Pattern Description from Vogue Knitting, Winter 2008/09: “Strong geometrics and a southwestern palette of Dale of Norway’s ‘Heilo’ render Michele rose Orne’s felted bag a must-carry. Once it’s knit, felted and assembled, it’s embellished with buttons and embroidered. Twisted cords thread through the top and act as the strap.”
“Felted color-work bag.”
- Width approx 13.5”/34.5cm (at widest point)
- Length approx 10.5”/26.6cm
- 1 1.75ox/50g skein each (each approx 109yd/100m) of dale of Norway Heilo (wool) in #9115 olive (A), #9335 light olive (B), #2434 tan (C), #3081 chocolate (D), #4137 maroon (E), #4018 red (F), #8972 dark olive (G) and #3418 orange (H)
- One pair each sizes 4 and 6 (3.5 and 4mm) needles or size to obtain gauge
- Ten 0.5”/13mm pewter buttons
- 0.5yd/0.5m denim or other lining material
- Tapestry needle
- Cotton or other non-felting, color-fast scrap yarn (to hold eyelets open while felting)
- Sewing machine (optional), needle and thread to match color E
Additional Gauge: 24 sts and 32 rows = 4”/10cm over St st using larger needles (after felting)
Note: Piece is worked using intarsia method for larger areas at bottom of chart and fairisle technique for ares of chart at middle and top.
Pages: 75 & 104-105, 108-109.