Pattern description from Handknit Holidays: “What better way is there for a knitter to honor her solstice evergreen than to dress it up in a a thick, cabled skirt and hang a matching stocking nearby? A bulky Icelandic wool yarn is doubled to give these pieces an ultra-handcrafted look and to speed up the knitting.”
Yarn: Reynolds Lopi (100% Icelandic wool; 117 yards / 3.5 ounces): #718 off-white (MC) and #367 mauve-gray (CC) (use double strand throughout) 3 balls MC, 1 ball CC
- One 24” circular (circ) needle size US 13 (9 mm)
- One 16” circular needle size US 13 (9 mm)
- Change needle size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
Notions: Two cable needles (cn), yarn needle, stitch marker, crochet hook size K/10.5 (6.5 mm).
Notes from Handknit Holidays:
- Tree Skirt is worked from radius of circle around, using Short Rows to shape wedge-like segments. On each Row 1 of Chart (after the first repeat), knit the wraps together with the wrapped sts (see Special Techniques, page 177) for all knit sts; the wraps on the purl sts may be worked with the wrapped sts if desired, but it is not necessary as these wraps blend in.
- The Tree Skirt Cable Chart shows one segment; the Cable repeats are designed to meet between segments.
- The contrast color (CC) trim is worked at the same time, using Intarsia method (See Special Techniques, page 175). It is then extended along CO and BO edges to form a tie to go around the tree trunk.
Errata (see link): One page 49, under Toe, correct Stocking instructions as follows:
K13, pm, p3tog, p11, sssp-26 sts remain.
Decrease Rnd: ssk, work to 2 sts before marker, k2tog, p2tog, work to last 2 sts, ssp. Repeat Decrease Rnd until 10 sts remain. Graft Toe sts together with Kitchener st (see Special Techniques, page 176).